You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Try to edit a photo  held in Apple Photos in Affinity Photo 1.5 beta 4 using the "Edit in Affinity Photo" extension. AP opens and then crashes. Happens every time. I am running Sierra which I now is a beta but it is the latest beta and I would have though AP 1.5 would have been tested against it.

Is anybody else seeing this behaviour?

Tks

Colin

Try to edit a photo  held in Apple Photos in Affinity Photo 1.5 beta 4 using the "Edit in Affinity Photo" extension. AP opens and then crashes. Happens every time. I am running Sierra which I now is a beta but it is the latest beta and I would have though AP 1.5 would have been tested against it.

Is anybody else seeing this behaviour?

Tks

Colin

I did have this problem but only with Fuji X-Pro2 RAW files. They now open fine since the last RAW camera update, but I've never had a problem with JPEGs from Apple photos opening. Latest betas of both programmes running.

Update:

Changed the raw development engine in AP from Apple to Serif. Now able to open raw (nef) files from Apple Photos ok. Still has the annoying habit of opening portrait as landscape - where I have turned the camera to portrait orientation to shoot a tower, AP loads the photo in landscape whilst Apple Photos and LR get it right. There seems to be no way to correct this in AP?  

Also, by using the Serif engine is AP not recognising any raw editing previously undertaken in Apple Photos?

• Staff

Hi Travelling Man,

We are aware of the landscape/portrait issues with a few RAW formats. Currently there's no way to rotate an image in Develop Persona, only in Photo Persona.

Regarding Photos, yes, currently Affinity Photo will open the original RAW image ignoring any edits you have made inside Apple Photos. I will pass this to the dev team [EDIT] Issue logged.

• 2 weeks later...

The new fonctionnality "edit in Affinity" works nicely with the Apple Photos app .... even with Panasonic RAW files .

It is possible to use Apple Photo as a sort of "dam" ..... unfortunatly Apple Photo has its limits !!!!

Thanks

Agreed Depa, Apple Photos is so lacking. It is aimed at the happy phone snappers and sharers, and it does that well. Will never be a LR replacement and yet LR at times seems overkill to me. But LR is up there with the best as a raw developer. Actually Apple Photos handles raw well quite well, if you can do without selective editing. I tried a workflow that was raw to Apple Photos, process in Apple and then convert to tiff for further editing or not in AP as the case may be. That kinda worked but I really hate all that memories rubbish in Apple and the fact that I cannot collapse the views so that I am only looking at photos relevant to a specific date. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.