You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bug: symbols get damaged if creating a symbol from a symbol

I tried the 1.5 Bet of AD because I liked to work with the new symbols feature. During that, a bug occurred, which is reproducible:

1. create a rectangle

2. make it a symbol

3. select the "real symbol object" - the child-object in layers

4. make this also a symbol

result:

- the thumbs of the symbols are gone

- the thumbs of the objects in layers are gone

- the canvas is empty

- no selectable objects in the canvas anymore

This state will be saved within document.

post-26509-0-21279800-1472067551_thumb.png

post-26509-0-03359700-1472067560_thumb.png

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

Yes it works ... but I found the following issues relating this bug/post:

First one is a cosmetic bug( see picture 1):

1.1 create a symbol

1.2 click on create symbol which is already a symbol, it won't be added to symbol library (good) but to the history.

But each time I click - creates a history step. Without reason. It should do nothing in the history.

But second one is an "advanced" and very similar bug behavior to the fixed one:

2.1. I selected both symbols (not via canvas)

2.2 I hit "create symbol" - that (still) leads to have a symbol created out of a symbol (in this case: 2 symbols)

2.3 now I used the 4th symbol of the library (second green rectangle) and draged it into the canvas

2.4 I deleted the new object 

Then I had a very similar situation as described in my first report (empty layer object, none-clickable object in canvas, kaput symbol object in symbol library)

Thanx and sorry for the inconvenience,

Stefan.

post-26509-0-29697300-1472807889_thumb.png

post-26509-0-82342800-1472807975_thumb.png

post-26509-0-60227300-1472807991_thumb.png

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Hey MattP,

This should work correctly in Beta 12, thanks for the report :)

you're welcome. I really like to "be a part of the development" of AD by reporting bugs and discuss feature requests.

It reminds me of my last job I quit after 5 years. I was in luck to concept the UI of a software product called "Touch Creator". In addition, I had to use that tool for my job their as well. So as a graphic and interface designer I was interested in making it good looking as well as intuitive and easy to use. I stood in close cooperation with the dev team and used that application a lot for my job at that company. 

Now I see lots of parallels: I purchased AD to have an software package to use for my new job as a freelance graphic- and interface designer. And with every reported bug and discussion about features and improvements it makes "my" new daily tool better and better.  :)

So I have to thank you, for your awesome fast bug fixings and high frequent beta builds. I am really looking forward to have all software packages (Designer, Photo and Publisher) integrated into my workflow in the near future and have no need to use any Adxxx product anymore. That would be fantastic.

A big thanks to all of you,

Stefan.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.