You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good day,

Is it possible, and if so how, to place a pdf file as a flat image instead of an image with editable layers en text? When I place a pdf that I want to use as an image but I don't have the fonts that are used in the pdf installed on my computer the whole image breaks.

When you place a pdf in photoshop it is placed as a flat image.

Kind regards,

Joeri.

Thank you for your reply @mac_heibu. I already am using the file/place way to insert the pdf, but I was wrong to say that it has editable layers etc. When using file->place it does places the pdf as an image (i think) but it looks nothing like the original pdf.

Please see the attached screenshots. Is there a way to fix this?

Best regards,

Joeri.

post-26913-0-21337900-1467893931_thumb.png

original-pdf.pdf

This is obviously a bug in Affinity’s PDF parser.

When placing the PDF, Affinity behaves, as if a font (Desard) is not embedded, but it definitely is.

Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, even Apple’s "Preview" are reading the PDF correctly, Affinity doesn’t.

• Staff

Hi joeri1977,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

When you use the menu File ▸ Place you are simply embedding the PDF in your document. If you double-click it on the canvas it will open in another document tab where you can access all the layers/objects contained in the embedded PDF.

Currently Affinity Designer and Photo don’t support embedded fonts when importing PDF’s. Affinity prompts you to select a replacement/substitute font and renders the text with it. To be able to display it correctly on screen (or edit the text) you must have the original fonts installed on your system.

Hello MEB,

Thank you for your reply. Isn't this something of a big deal (of course I understand Serif have many challenges for creating good software)? For me this would be a reason not te recommend Affinity Photo. My situation right now is that my customer is a copywriter and I am a webdeveloper that made her new website. She wants to add images to her portfolio and I recommended Affinity photo to her (instead of photoshop) for editing here images for use on the web. Like I said she is a copywriter and receives the final product as a pdf. She wants to drop the pdf in affinity photo and save it for the web. She doesn't have the embedded fonts that are used in the pdf, let alone I think many people don't even know how to install new fonts on there computer.

I would think that there is a serious need for this to work properly.

Kind regards,

Joeri.

Currently Affinity Designer and Photo don’t support embedded fonts when importing PDF’s. Affinity prompts you to select a replacement/substitute font and renders the text with it. To be able to display it correctly on screen (or edit the text) you must have the original fonts installed on your system.

When I open a PDF file in AD on Windows, missing fonts are listed in a PDF Options dialog like the attached. There is no obvious reason for the default choice of replacement font family, and it doesn't seem to matter whether the 'Replace missing fonts' checkbox is checked or not: when the document finishes loading, each missing font is replaced rather than substituted (i.e. when I select a text object, I see the replacement font name instead of something like '? StratoProDemiBold' in the dropdown box). I can't find a way to return to the missing fonts list to edit the replacements without closing and reopening the document.

post-8358-0-83938800-1467991757_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)