You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Class on Perspective Drawing using Affinity Designer

Hi All -

I have just posted my class: “Get Better at Perspective Drawing: Beginning with the Basics - using Affinity Designer” on SkillShare.com.

If you’re someone who has ever struggled with creating accurate perspective, or found it difficult to portray a strong sense of depth within your artwork, or have ever been bothered by the distorted shapes that often occur using standard perspective methods - I believe the insights, skills, and techniques shared in this class will be very helpful to you.

This class doesn’t focus on the isometric perspective grid that’s already available in Affinity Designer. Instead, I take an in depth look at how draw in actual 3D perspective and explain how to translate real world measurements and distances into your drawings. 

That said, I take full advantage of the wonderful tools and features available within Affinity Designer to create efficient workflows while drawing in perspective.

SkillShare provides me an option that allows the first 25 class enrollees to take the class for free using this link: http://skl.sh/22xKNoQ

*Update: Sorry, the link above expired last week. Here's a new link with another 25 FREE enrollments:  http://skl.sh/1UHyOPr

*Update: Class link: http://skl.sh/1O2zp1G- The current offer is 3 months of Skillshare for 99 cents.

The class is a little over two hours long and provides a solid foundation for drawing better in perspective.

Thanks,

Scott

I'm there, too. Thank you very much, Scott. :)

As one who is completely lacking in artistic talent, there's plenty of scope for me to "get better at" perspective drawing! :lol:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hey Scott,

Thank you so much for making these videos and making them available. 

I'm only on Lesson 9, but what a fantastic addition this has made to my knowledge base. I expect I may need to revisit concepts and methods—as there is a complexity here—but it will be so worth the effort, I can see already.

I'll provide more comments later. My only nitpick was the early music, which for me was intrusive. I was glad to hear that you dropped in after the first lessons. The information is such that either people (like me) will be fascinated, or find it torturous ( ;) ), but the content is what's exciting, not the music.

Again, thank you so much!

You've really opened a new area of education to me, and I appreciate it.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the feedback. I am glad you're finding the information useful.

You hit upon two things I struggled with while putting this class together.

1) I went back and forth on the music idea. In the end, it seemed like there needed to be something to fill in the blank spaces so, I went with music. I thought something upbeat would keep folks from falling asleep while watching me build guide structures ;-).

2) Regarding the amount of information presented in the class. Earlier versions of my introduction video actually included a disclaimer acknowledging; knowing how and why things work doesn't appeal to everyone. I removed this disclaimer just before I released the class with the justification: perspective drawing simply comes with an inherent amount of problem solving. For example, if I want to draw a particular object in perspective, I need to have enough knowledge to reproduce that object in whatever orientation would best present it to the viewer. Like any other artistic discipline (control of composition, values, color, etc.), we need to be able to step up our game when using perspective so we can create the artwork we desire.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I've started preparation for my next class and I definitely want input on what is working - and what is not.

Sincerely,

Scott

Bill, thanks for the feedback. I am glad you're finding the information useful.

You hit upon two things I struggled with while putting this class together.

1) I went back and forth on the music idea. In the end, it seemed like there needed to be something to fill in the blank spaces so, I went with music. I thought something upbeat would keep folks from falling asleep while watching me build guide structures ;-).

2) Regarding the amount of information presented in the class. Earlier versions of my introduction video actually included a disclaimer acknowledging; knowing how and why things work doesn't appeal to everyone. I removed this disclaimer just before I released the class with the justification: perspective drawing simply comes with an inherent amount of problem solving. For example, if I want to draw a particular object in perspective, I need to have enough knowledge to reproduce that object in whatever orientation would best present it to the viewer. Like any other artistic discipline (control of composition, values, color, etc.), we need to be able to step up our game when using perspective so we can create the artwork we desire.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I've started preparation for my next class and I definitely want input on what is working - and what is not.

Sincerely,

Scott

I really value the degree of depth (no pun intended) you've included in the classes. I am sure that many people's eyes would glaze over—and my wife walked in as I was watching one of the videos and she just "gave me the look"—but for people who really want to learn? Great stuff.

You'll need to accept that 99% of the general population would rather have a root-canal than watch the course, but for those of us who'd really like to understand working with perspective (especially using Affinity Designer) you've make something really valuable.

Thank you so much!

Bill

Hi All,

I just wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate their interest in my perspective drawing class - the response has been tremendous. 

I've also posted a couple of sample lessons on Vimeo so anyone can check out my teaching style and how topics are presented in the class.

Thanks,

Scott

Having followed the first seven lessons, I can only echo what Bill has said: I found the music in the first couple of videos quite intrusive, but  (as one who has always enjoyed problem solving) I really value the depth of coverage. The music works fine for filling in the 'blank' spaces in the later videos, and the presentation style makes the material highly accessible.

Alfred spacer.png

Alfred-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad to hear you're finding the information accessible and enjoy the problem solving scenarios. I think your observations about when - and when not to - use the music are valid (as are Bill's).

Cheers,

Scott

Hi All,

I have just added a project-based class to compliment what was shown in my “Basics” class on “Get(ting) Better at Perspective Drawing”. It’s short, it’s enlightening, and it’s free! I walk you through a project from planning to final render. It’s an opportunity to practice what we’ve already learned about perspective drawing - plus I introduce a technique not covered in the “Basics” class called ‘projection’. In addition, I demonstrate some basic shading techniques to enhance dimensionality using Affinity Designer.  Once again, this is a free class on SkillShare. Class link: http://skl.sh/24FNB2H

For anyone that may be interested in my “Beginning with the Basics” class, I have a link for another 25 folks to enroll in the class for FREE! Link: http://skl.sh/1UHyOPr

*Update: Class link: http://skl.sh/1O2zp1G- The current offer is 3 months of Skillshare for 99 cents.

Please enjoy,

Scott

I just watched your 2nd class. It was great!  I am going to have to go back and enroll in the longer one - your first class - to really learn this info.  I had never heard of the COV rig but I think once I learn more about it and how to use it, it's going to help my get much better perspective illustrations. My only constructive feedback is that I'd like to see a few more tips and such focused on Affinity Designer.  I liked how you showed how you use Affinity Designer to get the dynamic shading and coloring on the cubes.  That was helpful.

hathawayjoe3 -

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. The COV Rig really helps us get control of drawing in perspective. It's been a huge game changer for me. I'll try and work in all of the Affinity Designer tips that I can in future classes.

Be sure and grab the link above to enroll in the "Beginning with Basics" class for free!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I did not get back to give my review once i completed the course. Life got busy.

Well done!  I've been looking for additional information on perspective for a while now and this course really does explain a lot of concepts about One Point Perspective I had not fully grasped yet.  The most valuable thing I got from this is a new tool - the Circle of View Rig. It's amazing how this tool helps one to create accurate perspective.  

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I'm looking forward to seeing you do next.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I wanted to let anyone that’s interested know that I’ve just posted my next class perspective drawing on SkillShare. This class is all about drawing in two-point perspective using Affinity Designer. Like my previous class, “Beginning with the Basics”, I go into a lot of detail about how to draw objects accurately in perspective. Link: http://skl.sh/2bKODG8 (Free for a limited time)

I’ve also created a companion class where I demonstrate, step-by-step, how to draw a racing wheel in Affinity Designer. Link: http://skl.sh/2bKP03t (Free also for a limited time)

Together these classes offer a little over three hours of instruction and  cover:

• How to draw objects at the angle of your choosing. For example, if you want to draw your object with it facing the viewer at 36° angle, you will learn how to do that.
  • Where to locate vanishing points to avoid perspective distortion.
  • How to measure in foreshortened distances in two-point perspective. For example, to draw a perfect cube, it needs to be as wide as it is tall as it is deep. I demonstrate how to do this without any guesswork.
  • This leads to a demonstration of how to draw perfect circles in perspective. 
  • I provide workflows on managing guide structures to prevent getting lost in a tangle of construction lines.
  • I also share many tips and strategies for working in Affinity Designer.

Once again, I am offering each of these classes for Free for a limited time. As a reminder, if you’ve already joined SkillShare, you can already view these classes for free.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. 

Thanks, Scott

Hey thanks for putting these classes together. I'm looking forward to watching them!  I learned a lot from the other two.

What he said! B)

Alfred spacer.png