You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make the moonlight reflection

Hi, I have a newbie question :unsure:  

I want to make the moonlight reflection on a lake, but couldn’t find the way to do it… After watching several tutorials, I tried to use the Live Lighting Layer, but it seems no matter which blending mode I chose, the lighting area just won’t shine.

Any help please?

• Staff

Hi Charty,

Would you mind attaching your photo to this post so that I can see exactly what type of photo it is that you are working with? :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

Thank you for responding and trying to help me. AP has so many wonderful features that makes me feeling like a child just walking into a toy store.  :lol: 

Attached is the photo I’m working on. I want to add the moon to it but can’t figure out how to add the moonlight reflection in the water…

BTW, I already recommended AP to a friend and he was blown away by your intro video (which I like too :)). Now he can hardly wait for the release of your Windows version.

post-30483-0-33384000-1463519661_thumb.jpg

Hi.

I would add a pixel layer and choose a textured brush.

Paint with the same colour as the moon. Adjust the opacity of the layer.

Look at pictures of moon reflections to get inspiration.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Check this out. http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-create-a-reflection-in-photoshop-in-6-easy-steps/

It's a PS tutorial but you can do it with AP. My suggestion is to select the moon then create a mask. From there you select the layer and mask, ctrl v, go to arrange and choose flip vertically. You are then just mirroring the moon so when you apply the gradient it is only on the moon. guassian blur it and whatever else with the live filters and filters you can experiment with. It works

I hope you don't mind me doing this to your picture. 

I didn't use blending modes, just  the normal. I used a textured brush and built the reflection of three layers (copied the layer two times). 
Used the transform tool on the bottom layer and "stretched" it a little (wider) Lowered the opacity.

The middle layer I used as it was, but played with the opacity. The third layer I squeezed so it got more dense.

I also used the blur tool on the bottom layer. (And I added a slight rim light to the threes, just for good measure ;) )

This is just a quick job, I would work a little more on the texture to make it look a little more/less "rippled"as the sea is.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Thanks for the thumb up. :)  This was just to show you how it's possible to achieve the effect.
I think I was a little unclear,  I don't have the time to work more with it.

But IF i had, I would make the ripples so they match the ripples in the sea. Please have a go yourself. :)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi,

I want to thank each and all of you for your help and suggestions. I'm still working on refining the reflection area... and learning how to walk with AP first before learning how to run with it.   :P

Thanks again and best wishes to you all.  :)