You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pdf page information incorrect in export from Book

When I export a book file to pdf everything is fine except the page information. It restarts the page numbering for each chapter in the information. (The actual page numbers are fine.)

16 minutes ago, mogsie said:

It restarts the page numbering for each chapter in the information.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you provide a screenshot that illustrates the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

The page information says this is page 34 bit it's actually page 104.

The first page of this file in the book is shown in the page information as page 1 even though it is page 71. It restarts the numbering in the page information at page 1 for every file on the book.

I'm wondering if I have missed a checkbox somewhere. The  page numbering itself is fine.

Screen Shot 2024-05-10 at 21.34.23.png

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused. 

What are you using to view the file that's showing that information? 

What do you mean "every file on the book"? 

You should end up with one output PDF file, after exporting using the Books panel. It sounds like maybe you're exporting the individual files using File > Export, instead, and ending you with individual PDF files?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU

One complete file using the "all chapters as pages" option in the export.

The only problem with it is the page information which could be very confusing to a printer. There would be multiple page 1s in the book file according to the page information. The only solution I can see is to omit the page information altogether.

By "every file in the book" I mean every file which is included in the book file. The point of the Book is to amalgamate all the files or chapters. It works fine for everything except outputting the page information in a complete Book pdf export.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What are you using to view the file that's showing that information? 

I don't understand this. I am opening the pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Pdfs for sending to printers are supposed to include page information.

25 minutes ago, mogsie said:

The only solution I can see is to omit the page information altogether.

That's Page Information as specified in the Export Settings? If so, thanks. I don't think I've used that option. I'll take a look to see if I get the same.

-- Walt
PC:

20 hours ago, mogsie said:

The only problem with it is the page information which could be very confusing to a printer. There would be multiple page 1s in the book file according to the page information. The only solution I can see is to omit the page information altogether.

I agree that would be confusing, and I see the same thing as you. I don't think that there are any workarounds other than disabling "Include page information" option in the Export settings.

This is almost certainly a bug, which the Serif staff should be able to confirm when they get to this topic.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, mogsie said:

Are they fixing bugs these days?

Some get fixed; some don't. It may depend on the complexity of the fix and whether/how it intersects with other areas of the applications.

-- Walt
PC:

23 hours ago, mogsie said:

I don't understand this. I am opening the pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Pdfs for sending to printers are supposed to include page information.

Not all print establishments require, or even desire, page info such as title and page numbers in the trim section. 

Such information is not used in any imposition software I know of. Imposition simply imposes from the first page of a pdf until the last page without regard to such information. 

Best to communicate with whatever print service directly as to what is required.