You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing the white sections of an image

I have Affinity Photo v 1.10.8 for MacOS

See the attached screen shot. The full color version and the B&W version. The final version needs to be black and white and transparent. It's a SVG file.

See the one with the all black background. That's what I need the QS1 to be, remove all the colors.

When I click on the Flood Select Tool nothing happens, don't see the little ants running around.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 12.43.41 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 12.46.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 12.49.01 PM.png

If the file is SVG, aren't the letters text or curves, in which case select the text or GS1 curves and change the fill colour. 

You could upload the SVG for us to look at for you?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The Flood Select Tool has no effect because these are vector layers.

To achieve transparency for the white texts you can set their blend mode to "Erase". This will cause rasterization on export.

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-04um21_59_27.thumb.jpg.c8447064fa410821d2095179efeec0b3.jpg

Alternatively and to maintain vector on export you can subtract these layers from the bottom layer. To enable the subtraction you may first combine (Geometry -> Merge Curves, or Add) all single curve layers with a white fill colour to one common curves layer (plural s). You may need to subtract the white curves layer from the red rectangle + subtract a copy of the white curves layer from the gray hexagon in a separate step ... or subtract the red result from the gray hexagon in the second step.

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-04um22_07_30.thumb.jpg.f860b679fe5f8eb320b895cc101629b5.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

To add to the mix, what about a Black and White adjustment filter?

image.thumb.png.f310195793e4d16396475d34051c44df.png

It would also be beneficial to know what the typeface the lettering is, closest I could get was Stolzl.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

42 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Alternatively and to maintain vector on export you can subtract these layers from the bottom layer. To enable the subtraction you may first combine (Geometry -> Merge Curves, or Add) all single curve layers with a white fill colour to one common curves layer (plural s).

Oddly this doesn't seem to work correctly for me if I do a regular subtract of the Curves layer from the Curve one, rather than making a compound like your screenshot shows. Any idea why that is?

I am testing the SVG in AP 1.10.8 on my Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Oddly this doesn't seem to work correctly for me if I do a regular subtract of the Curves layer from the Curve one, rather than making a compound like your screenshot shows. Any idea why that is?

What exactly doesn't work / what do you get or miss? – I moved the curve layers from the second Layer layer into the first Layer layer before I merged all single curve layers to a common Curves layer.

11 minutes ago, thomaso said:

What exactly doesn't work / what do you get or miss? – I moved the curve layers from the second Layer layer into the first Layer layer before I merged all single curve layers to a common Curves layer.

I think I did the same thing, but as in this AMPP_QPLogo_QP2.afphoto version with History enabled, if I just subtract the Curves layer from the Curve layer, it does not seem to work. If instead I create a Compound like your screenshot shows, it does.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, thomaso said:

… but it requires to change the Fill Mode:

I do not seem to have a Fill Mode option in Affinity Photo V1, just in Affinity Designer.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do not seem to have a Fill Mode option in Affinity Photo V1, just in Affinity Designer.

Oh, sorry, I usually work in APub … and did not consider the OP's condition:

5 hours ago, Scott_R_24 said:

I have Affinity Photo v 1.10.8 for MacOS

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Oh, sorry, I usually work in APub … and did not consider the OP's condition:

Regardless, in AP it works for me if I make a compound but not just a regular subtraction like it shows in my earlier attached file, so if you open it in AP V1 on your Mac & go back one step in the History panel & make it a compound it should work ... & is somehow the same as changing the fill mode?????

Affinity Photo 

Thanks for all your replies and help. The included screen shot that I've included here is what the images look like on a website and what these red ones need to be as well. Transparent which I know SVG is. The background of the web page that the images are on is black. The image itself is sort of grayish.

In Affinity Photo the first thing I did was go to Document, Convert Format / ICC Profile then from the Color Format dropdown I picked Grey/16 then Greyscale D50. Is this the correct steps as the first step or something else should be done first such as remove all the color out of the image? The red, black and grey?

I mainly use AP for resizing and cropping images.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 7.54.55 AM.png

37 minutes ago, Scott_R_24 said:

The background of the web page that the images are on is black. The image itself is sort of grayish.

In Affinity Photo the first thing I did was go to Document, Convert Format / ICC Profile then from the Color Format dropdown I picked Grey/16 then Greyscale D50. Is this the correct steps as the first step or something else should be done first such as remove all the color out of the image? The red, black and grey?

I don't think you need to change the document colour space. You rather need to make a decision first which colour should appear gray and which transparent. Since you asked for how to "remove white" (= make the white transparent?) the red rectangle would appear gray accordingly. But it's unclear for instance whether the gray hexagon should be gray or transparent … etc.

Since all items are vector + you can use the Geometry options to subtract (hold the option-key when you press the subtract button) you can just apply the wanted gray colour as fill or stroke colour (or 'no colour' (Ø) if needed).

2 minutes ago, Scott_R_24 said:

I don't see a Geometry option anywhere. I have version 1.0

It's near the bottom of the Layer menu in AP V1.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, Scott_R_24 said:

I don't see a Geometry option anywhere. I have version 1.0

You can add them to the Toolbar. They are grayed-out unless you have according layers selected.

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-05um15_42_58.thumb.jpg.6b054e731183f2769a1bf6998446396e.jpg

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-05um15_45_22.thumb.jpg.29f1c481641bfde7ee1f6e596964ef89.jpg

What do you want Affinity to subtract … if only 1 layer is selected?

And you may need first to reorganize the Layer layers contents with the white text, as mentioned before … and a little later:

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

I moved the curve layers from the second Layer layer into the first Layer layer before I merged all single curve layers to a common Curves layer.

5 hours ago, Scott_R_24 said:

Thanks for all your replies and help. The included screen shot that I've included here is what the images look like on a website and what these red ones need to be as well. Transparent which I know SVG is. The background of the web page that the images are on is black. The image itself is sort of grayish.

I mainly use AP for resizing and cropping images.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 7.54.55 AM.png

Is this more like what you are aiming for...

image.thumb.png.79c07fef643a8d950b9201b8855897eb.png

45 minutes ago, Scott_R_24 said:

Yes exactly.

This appears to be a bit different to the title "Removing the white…" 😎

… and the hexagon + rectangle might get lost with this condition:

6 hours ago, Scott_R_24 said:

The background of the web page that the images are on is black.