You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Halftone seems a bit strange.
Idea is using a gradient (0 0 0 - 200 200 200) for smaller and smaller circles. But the edges act differently.
Missing anything or is it a bug? See file.
Thanks

Halftone.png

Is there a stroke on the source?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I can confirm this effect. It is a bit weird and suggests an outline affecting the dot size but I suspect it is because the alpha outside the character is black and is misinterpreted.

I ended up creating a bounding rectangle around my shapes with the same gradient and then using the shapes to mask that layer.

21 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

I can confirm this effect. It is a bit weird and suggests an outline affecting the dot size but I suspect it is because the alpha outside the character is black and is misinterpreted.

I ended up creating a bounding rectangle around my shapes with the same gradient and then using the shapes to mask that layer.

Thanks for the info.

Quite the workaround, but a smart one Paul!
Guess should report this issue as a bug then

Hi @Darner it might help by reporting it. I was up against a deadline when I discovered it so was only looking for a workaround. Fortunately there are often several ways to perform a task in Affinity. Now I feel guilty for not reporting it myself - so I have just done it. Please add your case - it might add some weight.

29 minutes ago, Darner said:

No stroke:)

Hmm, some filters have that "Preserve Alpha" checkbox... maybe that's the issue....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

15 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Hmm, some filters have that "Preserve Alpha" checkbox... maybe that's the issue....

Good point. Something can be found in "blur" etc in order to keep the effect inside the shape.
But in "halftone" couldn't see this option, and since the problem is on the inside not sure if this would help though.
But thanks for the feedback!

22 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

Hi @Darner it might help by reporting it. I was up against a deadline when I discovered it so was only looking for a workaround. Fortunately there are often several ways to perform a task in Affinity. Now I feel guilty for not reporting it myself - so I have just done it. Please add your case - it might add some weight.

Let's hope it will be fixed...along with other bugs.
If you have a link, I'll second the issue. If not I'll start another thread.
Regardless, appreciate the feedback!

22 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

@Darner here you go: 

Not a workaround, but perhaps a somewhat option someday if needed in Designer...

Add gradient, choose bitmap (below gradient options in context menu), select the file attached here.
You'll get sort of similar effect as halftone except all circles are equally sized. If that should come in handy.

Circle_Bitmap.png

• Staff

Hi All,

This is a known issue that is currently logged with our developers to be fixed, I'll update this thread once I have more info :)

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.