You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am very new to Publisher and am creating a zine which I set up with facing pages. The publisher wants it to be in single pages, my problem is that I have somehow deleted the Master Page. I need to save this as a pdf. There are 62 pages. Is there a way I can convert the document to single pages.

Hi @Bruce Robertson and welcome to the forums,

Do the pages in question use items that were on your deleted Master Page? If so you likely will need to re-add a Master, include any items on the Master common to relevant pages and reapply the Master to the associated pages...

• If your document is set up as Facing Page spreads you can go to File > Document Setup select the Model tab then unselect Facing Pages.
  • If you'd prefer to keep Facing Pages set Area: to All Pages under the PDF Export settings, which will export your file as single pages.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

3 hours ago, Bruce Robertson said:

Is there a way I can convert the document to single pages.

Yes, but don't.

3 hours ago, Bruce Robertson said:

The publisher wants it to be in single pages, .... I need to save this as a pdf.

Just export a PDF using single pages as Hangman has said. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Yes, but don't.

Just export a PDF using single pages as Hangman has said. 

The printer wants the pdf as PDFX-1A, which is how I set up the export, I believe because this is how they then get all the additional information for printing, this pdf is still in facing pages. I think I must need to amend the original document.

9 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Bruce Robertson and welcome to the forums,

Do the pages in question use items that were on your deleted Master Page? If so you likely will need to re-add a Master, include any items on the Master common to relevant pages and reapply the Master to the associated pages...

• If your document is set up as Facing Page spreads you can go to File > Document Setup select the Model tab then unselect Facing Pages.
  • If you'd prefer to keep Facing Pages set Area: to All Pages under the PDF Export settings, which will export your file as single pages.

Thanks for your help, I'm afraid I am not sure how to reinstate the original text boxes and page nos in the same place as they were on the original master. Could I add a new blank master and apply that to the whole document and the deselect facing page? I"m afraid of losing all the work that I have put into the project.

8 hours ago, Bruce Robertson said:

.... I think I must need to amend the original document.

Don't.

Do this instead. In the export dialog choose All Pages from the Area: dropdown menu. It will always default to All Spreads.

ScreenShot2024-04-15at10_16_31PM.png.a9da4b879721bc5b11137a42c7d1d15d.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Don't.

Do this instead. In the export dialog choose All Pages from the Area: dropdown menu. It will always default to All Spreads.

ScreenShot2024-04-15at10_16_31PM.png.a9da4b879721bc5b11137a42c7d1d15d.png

Firstly I am getting different options to you. I only get the two options, all pages and current pages, I selected All pages and exported it but the pdf is still in facing pages!

12 hours ago, Bruce Robertson said:

Thanks for your help, I'm afraid I am not sure how to reinstate the original text boxes and page nos in the same place as they were on the original master. Could I add a new blank master and apply that to the whole document and the deselect facing page? I"m afraid of losing all the work that I have put into the project.

Check first to see whether the publication pages actually use a Master Page by hovering your mouse over the page thumbnails in the Pages panel. If they do then any content inherited from the Master Pages should be missing on the publication pages which I'm assuming is the issue you have here.

You can create a new Master Page, add text boxes, page no's etc., and reapply to the relevant pages but Save a copy of your document before doing so and experiment with that to see what impact it has allowing you to go back to the original if required.

Without seeing the document and understanding what has or hasn't been inherited from the Master Page or Pages it's a little difficult to advise accurately...

17 minutes ago, Bruce Robertson said:

Firstly I am getting different options to you. I only get the two options, all pages and current pages, I selected All pages and exported it but the pdf is still in facing pages!

That suggests that your document doesn't use Spreads but Single Pages... Is it simply that you have your PDF Reader set to Two Page View?

Could you upload a screengrab that shows the complete UI with the Pages Panel, Master Pages Panel and Layers Panel visible so we can get a better idea of your document layout...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

Just a thought, but are you working with the original file, or have you opened a PDF version that you previously exported as spreads?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Check first to see whether the publication pages actually use a Master Page by hovering your mouse over the page thumbnails in the Pages panel. If they do then any content inherited from the Master Pages should be missing on the publication pages which I'm assuming is the issue you have here.

You can create a new Master Page, add text boxes, page no's etc., and reapply to the relevant pages but Save a copy of your document before doing so and experiment with that to see what impact it has allowing you to go back to the original if required.

Without seeing the document and understanding what has or hasn't been inherited from the Master Page or Pages it's a little difficult to advise accurately...

That suggests that your document doesn't use Spreads but Single Pages... Is it simply that you have your PDF Reader set to Two Page View?

Could you upload a screengrab that shows the complete UI with the Pages Panel, Master Pages Panel and Layers Panel visible so we can get a better idea of your document layout...

Thanks for all the effort you are putting in to try and help me. Here is a screenshot. The description text boxes were a group and together with the page nos were on the master page.image.thumb.png.11af5f69280225ae531e859bfbe01309.png

This would appear to be a PDF file, not an original APub file, so the "spreads" are actually now single pages. (IOW: Although they may look like two page spreads, they are really just two of the original pages side by side on a single page). You can tell this by the page numbers under the pages. If you no longer have the original APub file, the only choices are to start from scratch, or to split the double pages into single pages. It can be done using APub, but it would be quicker and easier to use a third party utility, such as Briss. (https://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

24 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

This would appear to be a PDF file, not an original APub file, so the "spreads" are actually now single pages. (IOW: Although they may look like two page spreads, they are really just two of the original pages side by side on a single page). You can tell this by the page numbers under the pages. If you no longer have the original APub file, the only choices are to start from scratch, or to split the double pages into single pages. It can be done using APub, but it would be quicker and easier to use a third party utility, such as Briss. (https://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

Thank you for your help, I have found a solution, a bit laborious but it solves my immediate problem, whilst I continue to learn

4 hours ago, Hangman said:

Thanks for all the effort you are putting in to try and resolve this, here is a screenshot

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

This would appear to be a PDF file, not an original APub file, so the "spreads" are actually now single pages.

Looking at the screengrab there are two tabs open, the hidden one is the PDF and the visible one appears to be the original Publisher file. I may be wrong but I think the reason we only see single-page numbers is because the file is set up as a landscape single-page document...

This would also explain why when attempting to export the file @Bruce Robertson only sees two options, 'All Pages' and 'Current Page'...

@Bruce Robertson, looking at the screengrab suggests there wasn't anything on your Master Page that impacted your Publication pages, if there was then deleting the Master page would delete text frames and page numbers from the Publication pages which don't appear to be the case.

I think you've been lucky and all the content appears directly on the respective pages. If you select a text frame or page number on any page does it appear with crosses on the bounding box or with scale handles...

If the former then they are Master Page items, if the latter they've been created directly on the page and don't use the Master.

TextFrames.png.25660472358b300f4cef772317591748.png

1 hour ago, Bruce Robertson said:

Thank you all for your help I have found a solution with is quite laborious, but it resolves my immediate problems, whilst I continue to learn!

What was the solution you've adopted, just curious as there may be a quicker way to achieve what you need...