You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a “Linked (Remote)” resource ‘cache’ on my hard drive and, if so, how do I clear it?

When I open a document with “Linked (Remote)” resources, where do the resources ‘end up’ when I load the document?

Are they just in memory or do they get saved on my hard drive somewhere in some kind of 'offline cache'?

If they get saved to my hard drive, how do I remove them?

(I’ve looked in the Help, and tried searching the forums for various combinations of linked , resource and/or remote , but couldn’t find anything relevant.)

Selecting one of them in the Resource Manager should show you its local location.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

When I open a document with “Linked (Remote)” resources, where do the resources ‘end up’ when I load the document?

The "Linked (Remote)" resources will be read from where they are. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 minutes ago, Return said:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\2.0\temp 

I don’t seem to have a:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\2.0\temp 
...folder (I have one for 1.0 though), but I can find a:
C:\Users\USERNAME\.affinity\Publisher\2.0\Temp\AffinityDownloadCache
...folder instead, which is empty apart from a “Files.json” file, which is only 1KB.

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Selecting one of them in the Resource Manager should show you its local location.

I don’t have the document open and don’t want to open it again.
Basically I want to clear my machine of whatever was in that document, if I need to and can do so.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The "Linked (Remote)" resources will be read from where they are. 

Thanks, but I asked where they ‘end up’, on my machine, not where they came from.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.

I think it is a symbolic link to the actual file that only is added as a hashed file to the temp folder when adding a linked resource to the document.
This link will be stored in the afpub file when saving.
Hence the missing resources when you move the actual file so I don't think it get's cached anywhere.
And also why the cloud and external storage don't work as the link get's lost when the connection is lost.

23 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Thanks, but I asked where they ‘end up’, on my machine, not where they came from.

They don't really 'end up' anywhere. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

19 minutes ago, Return said:

Hence the missing resources when you move the actual file so I don't think it get's cached anywhere.
And also why the cloud and external storage don't work as the link get's lost when the connection is lost.

That sort of makes sense to me now that you mention it.

I can’t find any large files that aren't mine in the 'hidden' folders that I can find so I’ll just assume that the linked remote resources are only in stored memory, unless anyone tells me otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

They don't really 'end up' anywhere. 

That’s pretty much the answer to the question I asked in my original post after the question you quoted earlier, i.e.

49 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Are they just in memory or do they get saved on my hard drive somewhere in some kind of 'offline cache'?

I think I’m over my initial worry now.