You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Struggle to open a File properly?

Hi there,

just updated to Affinity 2 on MacOS but I struggle already before i can even start..

The software doesnt properly open my HIF files :/. The images of my camera have 4128 x 6192 px. The camera changes automatically to upright when I open a JPG but not with my HIF files - and thats my big issue.

When i try it in a roundabout way: creating a custom document in 6192 x 4128 and add the file manually, the software still opens it vertical (in this upright ratio!). In my view, the software doesnt really recofnize the upright image ratio.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is this a common issue or can anyone help me to solve this?

Edited by sdaniel693
added OS

Hello and welcome to the forums, @sdaniel693

Which camera model do you use?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Posted (edited)

Sony alpha 6700

attached an image on how affinity 2 displays the upright image. on the right side is sort of a duplication of the actual image (to fill the empty pixels?)

really struggle to open these files properly hmm

Please also find the images attached: the JPG image (exported from the HIF) is just as usual. If someone wants to try by themselfes, please find a upright HIF file attached, If anyone finds a workflow, please lemme know

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-04 um 1.07.32 AM.png

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-04 um 1.47.22 AM.png

Edited by sdaniel693

@sdaniel693 Same here. Your HIF file opens up the same as yours does on my system, using APv2.

I'm on a Mac, so I used a 'quick action' (accessed through mouse right-clic) to convert the file from HIF to JPG, then it opened in AP properly. Try that as a workaround if you are on a Mac. I don't know anything about working with HIF files other than that. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

@sdaniel693 Here's some more info on HIF (HEIF, HEIC, HEIX) formats. Apparently, current support is hit and miss. 

https://fileinfo.com/extension/hif

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

2 hours ago, sdaniel693 said:

HIF example file here DSC00301.HIF

Hi again. 

Affinity Photo cannot read all variations of the HEIF format. The HIF format can save several image files (sequence) and their metadata in one file.This isn't supported yet.

On MacOS you can use Apple Prewie to convert the files into the HEIF format supported by Affinity Photo (File > Export).

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Hi @sdaniel693,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & our apologies for the delayed response here!

HEIF files are included on the list of Affinity Photos "Full Import / Export List" and therefore I'd expect your HIF file to be compatible within Affinity and render correctly - thus I am getting this issue logged with our development team now as a bug.

I will be including a copy of your .HIF file provided here with the report, but it would help our team to have a copy of the same file that does render correctly. Are you able to please attach a copy of the .JPEG or the .ARW file from your A6700 that matches this HIF provided above?

Equally, I have noticed a few issues across Windows/macOS with these alternative file formats (.HEIC, .HEIF & .HIF) correctly being listed in File > Open / File > Place, therefore I'm also getting this logged separately with our team now - as I'd also expect these files to show and be selectable within these dialogs.

Many thanks in advance & I hope this helps :)

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your responses. :)

DSC00301.ARW@Dan Cfiles attached. The HIF attached was the out of cam file, attached is a jpeg (exported with Luminar 4) and the raw.

Ps. i think this might be an issue only to sonys hif's.. just checked a hif from my iPhone 13 (.HEIC) upright and it is fine, gets displayed normal.

pls let me know if u need more files :).

DSC00301.jpeg

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these files for me, it's certainly appreciated!

19 hours ago, sdaniel693 said:

The HIF attached was the out of cam file, attached is a jpeg (exported with Luminar 4) and the raw.

Ps. i think this might be an issue only to sonys hif's.. just checked a hif from my iPhone 13 (.HEIC) upright and it is fine, gets displayed normal.

I'll be sure to update the development log with this information / files now, as it should help our team to identify and resolve this issue :)