You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange Behavior of APho2

I created a APho file that using cm for scale where width was 251 cm x 330cm OK very large but actual dimensions in reality. Ooops way too big the app crashed and left 7 ghost images. Actually the file is only 81.1mb, I have edited file 6-8x that big no problems. Ipad has about 80 GB free space.

Attempts to export the file crashed my iPad, so took a screen shot of the offender.

Image on the lbottom, the perpetrator of the act, image below are 7 ghost images left in the gallery all created at same time, possible I was trying to save image multiple times and app failed to respond, dont know. they appeared after reloading app.

The perpetrator ie the image at bottom in disguise with some layers shown not in the ghost images, but were present when crashed.

81.1 mb doesnt seem that big, but still cant export image to jpg.

IMG_5367.png

IMG_5369.png

• Staff

Hi @Affinity Rat,

While I agree from your description this is definitely unexpected behaviour as a result of a crash, I'm quite limited by what I can log and report to the developers on how to trigger this. Is this something you can replicate by performing the same steps in the app? If you are able to, could you provide the document which causes the crash?

• Staff

Thanks, wow that file is huge. Exporting from desktop works, but reached RAM usage of 13GB during the export process, which far exceeds the general iPad RAM capacity so that's probably related to why it's crashing. I can't get the ghost files to appear but I can get it to crash when it really shouldn't be so I'll log this with the developers.

3 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Thanks, wow that file is huge.

Interesting! How do you square that with

On 3/28/2024 at 5:23 PM, Affinity Rat said:

Actually the file is only 81.1mb

?? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
1 minute ago, Alfred said:
5 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Thanks, wow that file is huge.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:23 PM, Affinity Rat said:

image.png

Dimensions, rather than file size.

When I created the file I wanted it to represent the actual dimensions, so chose the template that used m for length, should have known the pixels would be extreme. Never done this before, obviously need to scale it down. 

Maybe there should be constraints imposed on dimensions when creating documents based on platform, but I suppose regardless of dimensions, the number and complexity of layers must also be accounted for.

Is there any metadata or system data available on ipad to better assess when ipad or app limits on memory, vram etc are approached to warn of impending crash….. dont be silly its an iPad! 

Is there any in app mechanism to handle scaling when creating a new doc in lieu of doing what I did?

It appears that 1 meter = 11811 px at 300dpi on my iPad mini.

Upon document creation the length units could be selected from yds and meters et al, fortunately km wasnt a choice, thats silly who ever saw a doorway measured in km.😊

On 4/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, Alfred said:

On 3/29/2024 at 12:23 AM, Affinity Rat said:

As I stated at beginning of post, the file dimensions are huge and later actually only 81.1mb, dimensions of file shouldn’t be significant, BUT memory over-runs are a common problem for software, therefore Mb or memory footprint more relevant than file dimensions. Obviously the two issues are related, but 81.1 Mb not that big, I often have Apho files 100-200 mb and some larger, but never had this happen before.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:28 PM, Affinity Rat said:

It appears that 1 meter = 11811 px at 300dpi on my iPad mini.

One metre is 39.37 inches, so at 300 pixels per inch on any device that’s 39.37 × 300 = 11811 pixels. (The screen resolution for iPad Mini 5 and iPad Mini 6 is actually 326 ppi, which makes a metre work out as a rather awkward 12834.62 pixels.)

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The screen resolution for iPad Mini 5 and iPad Mini 6 is actually 326 ppi

So are you saying that the setting of 300 dpi in Affinity Photo document create is not representative of actual rez? 😊

I never modify my dpi when creating image.

IMG_6039.jpeg

1 minute ago, Affinity Rat said:

So are you saying that the setting of 300 dpi in Affinity Photo document create is not representative of actual rez? 😊

It’s not representative of the actual screen resolution on an iPad Mini, but it’s standard for process colour printing. Sometimes a higher resolution is used, for example when printing things like maps.

Alfred spacer.png