You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch export of several individual layers (1-100) while keeping layer 101 visible in every export image 1-100

The reason for this question is that I plan to make edits to layer 101 from time to time.

In Affinity v1 it seems Export Persona could only export individual layers or individual groups, so using that software I would have had to copy layer 101 into 100 groups (one for each layer to export) and then batch export the groups instead of the layers. However it would be tedious to manually copy layer 101 into 100 groups after every time I've made an edit.

Is there a more effective solution for this in Affinity suite v2? (I have Photo and Designer) :) 

BR
Leo

You may use linked layers or symbols to keep layer 101 identical in all instances, so only a one time job. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

46 minutes ago, melfio said:

it seems Export Persona could only export individual layers or individual groups, so using that software I would have had to copy layer 101 into 100 groups

The "could only individual …" is true only for slices generated per layer. – You also can create custom slices which include all layers. So it may depend on your layout and the wanted layer hierarchy.

Bildschirmfoto2024-03-27um16_32_30.thumb.jpg.0e4c666127f116aa5877ec35bb578c92.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I know nothing about symbols but linked layers in Photo are pretty limited. You can change colours and dimensions but if you need to change a square into a circle or replace it with text you're goosed
What does work is to use a macro to duplicate the top layer, create groups of the layers below and place the duplicate in the groups

Macros with lots of layers have been a pain to get going but I think I know the secret which I shall divulge for a small fee
When you select another layer when recording a macro you get various options but whatever you choose the macro records the position from the bottom
So if you record a macro using 110 layers and select 5th from the top, the macro will store 106 even if it's called fred

image.png.704ccfc24131d707d14b87b13bb6e68c.png

If you now run the macro using 25 layers it will look for the 106th from the bottom but settle on 25
Then run the macro using 130 layers it will look for the 106th from the bottom and you won't get higher

The top layer can also be a group which can contain a full sized rectangle with opacity set to zero, this is useful if you want all the slices to be the same size as the canvas

What I did was
Create 110 layers
Start recording
Select top
Go down 1
Group
Go up 1
Duplicate
Go down 1
Arrange/Move inside
Select group parent layer
Move to back
Select top layer
Stop recording

Then run the macro as many times as necessary, even 110 doesn't take long, and you can finally delete the first layer, go into the export persona, select all layers, create slices and go for a pint

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

• 4 weeks later...

In Affinity Designer 2, proceed as follows (may also work with other versions):

1. Display Symbols Panel (via Menu "Windows")
  2. Create a group of layers, select it and click "Create" in the Symbol panel.
  3. Duplicate the symbol and use it in other groups.
  4. Create a slice for each group.

See the Symbol section in Affinity Help for more details.

image.png.334b1757377fdf25a7a52e8d9400a895.png

Edited by Ludonext
provide solution instead of asking question