You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Model Definition For Hex Values

I'm unsure whether this would be considered to be by design or should be logged as a potential bug or an improvement...

Switching between the Wheel and Slider Colour Panel Models will display Hex values in Base 16 when the Wheel is displayed with no option to change this but as Percentage values when the RGB Hex sliders are displayed if the document has previously set the RGB slider values to be displayed using percentages in the Colour Panel Preferences...

When displaying the RGB Hex sliders it is not possible to switch from Percentages back to 8-bit or 16-bit because the option isn't available which means the Hex Values displayed can initially appear to be incorrect (despite being correct) because:

• The Hex value displayed in the RGB Hex Sliders differs from the Hex Value displayed in the Wheel because the former displays the values as percentages, the latter in Base 16

• It's not possible to change the RGB Hex slider values back to Base 16 without first reverting to the RGB sliders

Questions

1. Should both the Colour Wheel and Sliders adopt a uniform display method, i.e., Base 16 or Percentage
  2. Should the option to switch from Percentage back to 8-bit or 16-bit be available when displaying the RGB Hex Sliders

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I’m struggling to see what you mean—not that it matters whether I can see it, since this is a bug report. But it might be clearer if you give a recipe or a demo video.

Maybe part of the reason I am having trouble is following what you mean by “Hex values in Base 16,” since hex (short for hexadecimal) is by very definition base 16, so hex values should always be base 16.

Also, I don’t see percentages in either view, but rather either the value expressed as decimal (from 0 to 255 in 8-bit color) or as hexadecimal (from 0 to FF in hexadecimal in 8-bit color). I do notice that the wheel view does show HSL (rather than RGB) in decimal on the bottom left and of course RGB as hexadecimal on the right.

• Staff

Hi @Hangman,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm that I've been able to identify a few bugs here - as the behaviour differs across platforms.

Firstly, to verify, the expected behaviour of the Colour 'Wheel' option should always display the HEX value in 8bit, regardless of the 'Slider' settings. This means that if you change your 'Slider' RGB HEX setting to 16bit, it's expected for you to see different HEX values when selecting the same colour, using the 'Wheel' vs the 'Sliders.
If you'd like to see the 'Wheel' option offered with a 16bit display of the HEX value, this would make for a good feature request.

However, I am able to replicate the following on macOS, which is both incorrect and inconsistent with Windows:

1. Colour Studio
  2. Colour Sliders
  3. Change mode to RGB
  4. Using the menu, change this from 8bit to 16bit view
  5. Change mode to RGB HEX
    ⚠Note this is now also using 16bit

1. Colour Studio
  2. Colour Sliders
  3. Change mode to RGB
  4. Using the menu, change this to Percentage view
  5. Change mode to RGB HEX
    ⚠Note this is now also using Percentage, which shouldn't be possible - the HEX values are also incorrect due to this.

1. Colour Studio
  2. Colour Sliders
  3. Change mode to RGB
  5. Change mode to CMYK
    ⚠Note this is now also using 16bit, which shouldn't be possible

It appears as though the setting 'follows' the Colour mode on macOS in 'Slider' view.
On Windows, each Colour mode option has a setting independent of the other colour modes, which is the behaviour I'd expect on macOS.

I believe this is the crux of your above report, as Colour modes are being displayed incorrectly in 'Slider' mode, though my first point still applies in regards to the 'Wheel' view and setting RGB HEX to 16bit in 'Slider' view.

In my testing, I also found the following issues on Windows:

1. Colour Studio
  2. Colour Sliders
  3. Change mode to RGB HEX
  5. Change mode to RGB
  6. Change mode to RGB HEX
    ✔Note that 16bit setting is retained, as expected
  7. Colour Wheel
  8. Colour Slider
    ⚠Note this is now reset to 8bit

1. Colour Studio
  2. Colour Sliders
  3. Change mode to HSL / LAB
  4. Using the menu, change this from 8bit to 16bit view or Percentage
    ✔Note that colour values do not change
    ⚠Note these Colour modes should not offer 16bit / Percentage menu options

1. Colour Studio
  2. Colour Sliders
  3. Change mode to LAB / Greyscale
  4. Select/pick any colour 
    ⚠Note the colour value is displayed with 3 decimal places

I hope this helps & if I've missed or misunderstood part of your above report, please don't hesitate to let me know :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 3/15/2024 at 3:02 PM, garrettm30 said:

I’m struggling to see what you mean—not that it matters whether I can see it, since this is a bug report. But it might be clearer if you give a recipe or a demo video.

Hi @garrettm30,

Hopefully, this will help but basically though technically the two different Hex values displayed are correct between the Wheel and RGB Hex Slider, it can appear confusing, so it's not a bug per se though may be considered one in as much as the two colour models don't display the same Hex value in the same way, the Wheel uses 8-bit, the Slider uses ...

Steps to Reproduce

1. With the RGB Sliders shown in the Colour Palette set the value to Percentage in the Colour Preferences Panel
  2. Change the Colour model to the Wheel (either is fine)
  3. Create a Shape and apply a Hex value to the shape, e.g., #284BFF
  4. Switch the Colour Model to the RGB Hex Sliders
  5. The Hex value in the RGB Hex sliders is shown as the decimal equivalent of #284BFF, i.e., #101D64 (which is technically correct)

The main 'issue' here is that the two different colour models display the same Hex value differently and you can't switch the value from percentage to 8-bit or 16-bit when using the RGB Hex Sliders, you first have to go back to the RGB sliders to change the value from percentage back to 8 or 16-bit which I think has the potential to lead to confusion, hence my questions...

Questions

1. Should both the Colour Wheel and Sliders adopt a uniform display method, i.e., both display Percentage when that option is selected
  2. Should the option to switch from Percentage back to 8-bit or 16-bit be available when displaying the RGB Hex Sliders

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Thank you for spelling it out. And obviously, since Dan C was able to find some issues, that’s all that really matters.

7 hours ago, Hangman said:

decimal equivalent of #2B48FF, i.e., #101D64 (which is technically correct)

#101D64 is not a decimal equivalent, for D is not a numeral in the decimal system. It is still some hexadecimal value of some sort, but what? Also interesting, when I tried to follow your recipe (including using #2B48FF), the value changed for me too, but rather than #101D64 as you reported, for me it changed to #111C64. There is definitely something going wrong, but now the developers have been alerted. As a fellow user, I thank you for helping make this software better.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:41 PM, garrettm30 said:

#101D64 is not a decimal equivalent, for D is not a numeral in the decimal system. It is still some hexadecimal value of some sort, but what?

I'd been working with decimal conversions all day and had decimal on the brain, a classic case of thinking one thing, typing another, i.e., thinking percentage, typing decimal...

So my logic for #101D64 being correct was based on hexadecimal representation of percentage values, i.e., when the RGB sliders are set to percentage:

HexConversion.png.b386acf6f0f5af6c626117ce6f477d29.png

For Each RGB Hex Pair:

1. Take the decimal equivalent of the first character for each colour from the chart and multiply by 16
  2. Take the decimal equivalent of the second character for each colour from the chart and add it to the first value get the R, G and B values

So for #284BFF

Red: 2 x 16 = 32 + 8 = 40
Green: 4 x 16 = 64 + 11 = 75
Blue: 15 x 16 = 240 + 15 = 255

Convert the RGB Values to Percentages:

Red: (40 / 255) x 100 = 16% (15.68%)
Green: (75 / 255) x 100 = 29% (29.41%)
Blue: (255 / 255) x 100 = 100%

Convert the Percentages Values to Hex Equivalents:

Percentages.png.044d8d7ca37647a5809228357e42b3c1.png

1. Take the Hex equivalent for the percentage value from the chart for each colour

Red: 16 = 10
Green: 29 = 1D
Blue: 100 = 64

So when percentage is set as the colour mode #284BFF translates to a Hex value of #101D64

On 3/15/2024 at 10:41 PM, garrettm30 said:

Also interesting, when I tried to follow your recipe (including using #2B48FF), the value changed for me too, but rather than #101D64 as you reported, for me it changed to #111C64.

That's because I mistyped the Hex Code, #2B48FF instead of #284BFF... I've now corrected the original post to reflect this, apologies for that......

Hi @Dan C,

Many thanks for your indepth testing here... It's interesting as the Colour Studio has always worked this way since incarnation on macOS...

On 3/15/2024 at 3:28 PM, Dan C said:

Firstly, to verify, the expected behaviour of the Colour 'Wheel' option should always display the HEX value in 8bit, regardless of the 'Slider' settings.

Noted…

These are my observations based on your feedback on the macOS side, though all could be wrong...

Scenario 1

• Colour Studio
  • Colour Sliders
  • Change mode to RGB
  • Using the menu, change this from 8 bit to 16 bit view
  • Change mode to RGB Hex
    ⚠ Note this is now also using 16 bit

I appreciate on Windows this is reset to 8 bit when switching modes resulting in a difference between Mac and Windows but I was trying to understand whether this is just the affinity apps showing a 16-bit representation of the Hex Value...

#RGB (4 bits each)
#RRGGBB (8 bits each)
#RRRGGGBBB (12 bits each)
#RRRRGGGGBBBB (16 bits each)

or whether, in this scenario the Hex values should be shown using a RGB565 conversion, though if that were the case it would potentially negate transparency support, i.e.,

• Colour Studio
  • Colour Sliders
  • Change mode to RGB
  • Change mode to RGB Hex
  • In 16 bit RGB Mode, i.e., RGB565 #284BFF would appear as #0x2a7f

Scenario 2

• Colour Studio
  • Colour Sliders
  • Change mode to RGB
  • Using the menu, change this to Percentage view
  • Change mode to RGB Hex
    ⚠ Note this is now also using Percentage, which shouldn't be possible - the Hex values are also incorrect due to this...

See my reply to @garrettm30 in the previous post, if I've understood the conversion correctly in this scenario the value displayed would appear to be correct based on the percentage selection, i.e., #284BFF correctly appears as #101D64 when the RGB values are set to percentage...

Scenario 3

• Colour Studio
  • Colour Sliders
  • Change mode to RGB
  • Change mode to CMYK
    ⚠ Note this is now also using 16 bit, which shouldn't be possible

I appreciate that Affinity apps themselves don't support CMYK/16 but are we not just seeing a true 16 bit representation of CMYK values ranging from 0 to 65,536...

Having said that, this was logged as a bug under AFD-6355 and AFD-6356 back in January 2023... AFD-6355 was shown as fixed in v2.1.0.1703/5 though in the current v2.4.0 when the Colour Palette is set to 8 bit, the CMYK sliders show 8 bit values in the Colour Palette, 16 bit values in the Colour Chooser Sliders and Percentage values in the Colour Chooser list on the right...

CMYK.thumb.png.d24a9da5f1ea4d6b0d2ad7ea6d9ee3eb.png

• Staff

No problem at all!

On 3/16/2024 at 1:13 PM, Hangman said:

I appreciate on Windows this is reset to 8 bit when switching modes resulting in a difference between Mac and Windows but I was trying to understand whether this is just the affinity apps showing a 16-bit representation of the Hex Value...

#RGB (4 bits each)
#RRGGBB (8 bits each)
#RRRGGGBBB (12 bits each)
#RRRRGGGGBBBB (16 bits each)

or whether, in this scenario the Hex values should be shown using a RGB565 conversion, though if that were the case it would potentially negate transparency support, i.e.,

• Colour Studio
  • Colour Sliders
  • Change mode to RGB
  • Change mode to RGB Hex
  • In 16 bit RGB Mode, i.e., RGB565 #284BFF would appear as #0x2a7f

I'm not previously familiar with RGB565 but I can verify that Affinity has always displayed '16bit' HEX values as #RRRRGGGGBBBB on both macOS and Windows - so I understand this to be the expected behaviour.

See my reply to @garrettm30 in the previous post, if I've understood the conversion correctly in this scenario the value displayed would appear to be correct based on the percentage selection, i.e., #284BFF correctly appears as #101D64 when the RGB values are set to percentage...

I see, that's definitely interesting! Your maths appears to check out in this regard, though the app should not be displaying the HEX with this percentage conversion at all - as it simply shouldn't be possible to set RGB HEX to percentage.

I appreciate that Affinity apps themselves don't support CMYK/16 but are we not just seeing a true 16 bit representation of CMYK values ranging from 0 to 65,536...

I wouldn't wish to give you incorrect information here - it certainly appears as though this is what is displayed, but as the behaviour itself is fundamentally unexpected/unsupported, I can't be certain that the 16bit value provided is correct or definitively represented of the colour value used in the file and therefore wouldn't want to confirm that directly, whilst the above logged issues still exist within the Colour Studio.

Having said that, this was logged as a bug under AFD-6355 and AFD-6356 back in January 2023... AFD-6355 was shown as fixed in v2.1.0.1703/5 though in the current v2.4.0 when the Colour Palette is set to 8 bit, the CMYK sliders show 8 bit values in the Colour Palette, 16 bit values in the Colour Chooser Sliders and Percentage values in the Colour Chooser list on the right...

I can verify that AFD-6355 was initially closed by our team as resolved in 2.1.0.1705, but later reopened for 2.1.0.1709 as a different method was found to cause these incorrect values to display in the Colour Chooser. Note 'AF-6355' is now converted to 'AF-2452'.

I'll be sure to 'bump' this with the team for 2.4 now, as I expect the Sliders above the waterfall in the Colour Chooser to be displayed using your Colour Studio settings - though the values on the right side are unaffected by this, and should always be displayed as 8bit for RGB and Percentage for CMYK. This is the behaviour shown on Windows:

image.png

AFD-6356 is a less encompassing version of AF-2421 - as the AFD issue was specific to CMYK, whereas the AF issue covered all Colour Modes in the Colour Studio.
I'm unsure why AFD-6356 was missed by our team (and by me when searching for this issue internally :$) however I can confirm that AF-2421 has already received an internal fix, which is awaiting our teams testing and therefore should hopefully be resolved in an upcoming update!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C,

16 hours ago, Dan C said:

I can verify that Affinity has always displayed '16bit' HEX values as #RRRRGGGGBBBB on both macOS and Windows - so I understand this to be the expected behaviour.

That makes perfect sense... In your original reply when you said "if you change your 'Slider' RGB Hex setting to 16 bit, it's expected for you to see different HEX values when selecting the same colour, using the 'Wheel' vs the 'Sliders." I'd misinterpreted that to mean you'd see a completely different Hex value, i.e., in the same way as you see completely different Hex values when switching from the wheel to the sliders when in Percentage mode on macOS, but if it's #RRRRGGGGBBBB then that makes sense and sounds to be consistent between Windows and Mac...

16 hours ago, Dan C said:

I see, that's definitely interesting! Your maths appears to check out in this regard, though the app should not be displaying the HEX with this percentage conversion at all - as it simply shouldn't be possible to set RGB HEX to percentage.

Thanks for clarifying though I'm surprised as this is a simple Base-10 to Hexadecimal conversion and it appears as though this is already being converted correctly on Mac, is there any logical reason why this shouldn't be the accepted conversion? It's no big deal, just curious...

17 hours ago, Dan C said:

I expect the Sliders above the waterfall in the Colour Chooser to be displayed using your Colour Studio settings - though the values on the right side are unaffected by this, and should always be displayed as 8bit for RGB and Percentage for CMYK. This is the behaviour shown on Windows

The Colour Chooser in v2.4.0 shows 16-bit slider values for both CMYK and RGB in 8-bit mode on Mac which appears to be a regression from v1 where the Colour Palette reflects 8-bit mode with the Colour Chooser also showing the values in 8-bit, but in 16-bit mode we see the reverse of v2.4.0 in as much as the Colour Palette displays 16-bit CMYK values but the Colour Chooser displays 8-bit slider values though based on your description above even this appears to be incorrect since the Sliders above the waterfall in the Colour Chooser aren't displayed using your Colour Studio settings even there in 16-bit mode...

V1 CMYK Sliders in 8-bit Mode

V18Bit.thumb.png.aa66d7278a3bbdd55d2c88a01f91c36c.png

V1 CMYK Sliders in 16-bit Mode

V116Bit.thumb.png.ca834ce6fff551929f97e935696c018f.png

Anyway, now that this is all logged, hopefully, we'll see these issues rectified in a future release...

Many thanks for taking the time to compare, clarify and explain what we should and shouldn't be expecting to see... very much appreciated as always... :)

• Staff
On 3/19/2024 at 11:14 AM, Hangman said:

Many thanks for taking the time to compare, clarify and explain what we should and shouldn't be expecting to see... very much appreciated as always... :)

You're very welcome - and as echoed above in this thread we sincerely do appreciate the time and effort you take to help us continue to update and improve the apps :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

The issue "[Win] LAB/Greyscale values are showing with decimals on Windows" (REF: AF-2327) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2335".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

• Staff

The issue "[WIN] Changing Colour Studio view from Sliders changes colour mode settings applied in Slider view" (REF: AF-2423) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2335".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

• Staff

The issue "[WIN] Colour Studio in Slider view offers 16bit / Percentage options for HSL and LAB incorrectly" (REF: AF-2424) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2335".
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Colour modes in Colour Studio Slider view incorrectly share display settings, causing incorrect colour values to be shown" (REF: AF-2421) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2335".