You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

16 Bit Colour Values Displayed in the Colour Chooser Regardless of the Selected Option in the Colour Palette

Hangman

Not quite sure what is the expected behaviour re this but while we can select from 8-bit, 16-bit or percentage when working with RGB colour and between 8-bit and percentage when working with CMYK colour, reflecting the Document Setup options for both, selecting 16-bit as the default when working in RGB, this, as expected displays 16-bit RGB values in both the colour palette and colour chooser sliders. Switch to CMYK in the colour palette and CMYK colour values are now also displayed using 16-bit values in both the colour palette and the colour chooser sliders, should they be?

Change back to 8-bit from the drop-down menu in the colour palette and the CMYK values in the colour palette are now correctly displayed in 8-bit but still show as 16-bit values in the colour chooser sliders and it appears impossible to change these back to 8-bit in the colour chooser even if changing to RGB 8-bit or percentage from the colour palette drop-down, the values are now stuck in 16-bit.

Same issue across all three apps....

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Hangman,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 1/22/2023 at 4:19 PM, Hangman said:

Switch to CMYK in the colour palette and CMYK colour values are now also displayed using 16-bit values in both the colour palette and the colour chooser sliders, should they be?

I don't believe so, as this only occurs on macOS, on Windows when setting RGB to 16-bit and then switching to CMYK, Percentage is selected in this menu instead - so I'm logging this now.

On 1/22/2023 at 4:19 PM, Hangman said:

Change back to 8-bit from the drop-down menu in the colour palette and the CMYK values in the colour palette are now correctly displayed in 8-bit but still show as 16-bit values in the colour chooser sliders and it appears impossible to change these back to 8-bit in the colour chooser even if changing to RGB 8-bit or percentage from the colour palette drop-down, the values are now stuck in 16-bit.

However, I haven't been able to replicate any changes in the Colour Chooser dialog (assuming I haven't misunderstood your report) - regardless of my setting in the Colour Studio, the Colour Chooser always uses 8bit for RGB and Percentage for CMYK on macOS.

Could you please confirm if you are now seeing this behaviour in 2.0.4, and if so could you provide a quick screen recording for me? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

However, I haven't been able to replicate any changes in the Colour Chooser dialog (assuming I haven't misunderstood your report) - regardless of my setting in the Colour Studio, the Colour Chooser always uses 8bit for RGB and Percentage for CMYK on macOS.

Could you please confirm if you are now seeing this behaviour in 2.0.4, and if so could you provide a quick screen recording for me? :)

Hi Dan,

As far as I can tell this seems to be working as expected in 2.0.4, I certainly can't seem to replicate the issue any longer...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse