You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Without clicking on the links, and just reading the link titles, what has any of that got to do with a Picture Quiz about people called Peter?

It relates to the Welsh for daffodil being, when transated into English, a Peter's Leek.

I accept that I tend to ramble away, yet I find that as a good way to gather wide knowledge and good experience. Some people are very much "stay rigorously on-topic" and I accept that, but it is not how my mind works.

So, yes, I have linked to a music video, and to that thread, both due to connections to the theme of this quiz. It is for each reader to decide whether to listen to the music and whether to follow the links.

William

Edited by William Overington
Edited to add ", when transated into English,"

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

19 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Two different links, notwithstanding the same name in the link. The links go to two posts in the same thread,

To change the link text, double-click on the linked item in Edit mode to display the relevant dialog.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Without clicking on the links, and just reading the link titles, what has any of that got to do with a Picture Quiz about people called Peter?

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

To change the link text, double-click on the linked item in Edit mode to display the relevant dialog.

@GarryP @Alfred I have now changed the text of the links. I have also added additional explanation to the post in Alfred's forum that is linked from the second link. Thank you both.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I don’t know the gold mining process so can’t confirm or deny, but the phrase isn’t specific to any particular thing/process. (The clue probably isn’t very good, and the answer isn’t very satisfying/funny, so I wouldn’t put too much thought into it if I were you.)

20 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I don’t know the gold mining process

Me too neither. I suspect that William just wanted to ask a ‘loded’ question!

Alfred spacer.png

36 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The phrase is Peter out.

Thank you, William. That phrase is, of course, quite widely used, but it does seem to have its origins in mining (not necessarily gold mining):

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/peter-out.html

I find it interesting that the above article only mentions a Biblical association between Peter and rock, completely ignoring the fact that the Latin word petra (from Ancient Greek πέτρᾱ) means ‘rock’:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/peter#Etymology_3

The Latin word petra is feminine, just like the name Petra.

Alfred spacer.png

@pioneer Is it time to post the answers yet please?

If you know how to do it, could the results be behind one of those spoller protection items?

I don't know how to do that at present, but maybe @Alfred may explain that please.

William

Oh, that symbol like an eye to the left of the smiley in the panel where a reply is set up.

How does it work?

Spoiler

Is this first line the overt part

and the rest of the text the covert part?

This is a test.

Result of the test. No, everything in the panel is hidden.

Edited by William Overington
Edited to write about the result

@William Overington Is it time to post the answers yet please?

I have been asked by my wife to leave the answers in here until Thursday morning this week as the Quiz is live at an all day event the club on Wednesday attended by people from near and far

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

<pedantry>

Spoiler

3. Peter Davison
7. Peter Dinklage
11. Peter Purves
14. Peter Mandelson
15. Pete Murray
16. Peter O’Toole

</pedantry>

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

he was often referred to as Pete Murray, but the credits had Peter Murray.

You may be interested in this article about him (which happens to mention both forms of his first name).

Alfred spacer.png

I knew the Peter Gabriel image was Pete himself, but boy, has he changed over the years. I really had to look real hard before the recognition penny dropped. 😉

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.