You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't select replacement font

I just moved to a new computer, and I opened my Publisher with one of the fonts I used missing. It wasnt an important font so I tried to select a replacement on the screen that showed me the fonts. However, each time I tried to select a specific weight of a typeface, it would choose a different weight. The font I was replacing with was Montserrat. 

Hi @philipt18,

On your new Mac do you happen to have the Variable version of Montserrat installed instead of the Static version? If you are using the Variable version this would likely explain the problem you are seeing since Affinity apps don't currently support Variable fonts...

You would need to uninstall the Variable version of Montserrat and then install the Static version which should then allow you to specify specific different weights.

Both the Variable and Static versions are available in the same download from Google Fonts...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

9 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @philipt18,

On your new Mac do you happen to have the Variable version of Montserrat installed instead of the Static version? If you are using the Variable version this would likely explain the problem you are seeing since Affinity apps don't currently support Variable fonts...

You would need to uninstall the Variable version of Montserrat and then install the Static version which should then allow you to specify specific different weights.

Both the Variable and Static versions are available in the same download from Google Fonts...

Could be, I think. I just copied the whole folder with both sets.

10 hours ago, philipt18 said:

I just copied the whole folder with both sets.

It's easy to have both versions at hand but it's advised to install only one version of the font (variable OR static). 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

27 minutes ago, Oufti said:

It's easy to have both versions at hand but it's advised to install only one version of the font (variable OR static). 

I would advise to use only the static fonts as these will be supported in the affinities and maybe other apps as well that do not support variable fonts.
You can store the variable fonts for the future where it may be possible to use it in any and/or all apps.