You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient maps with smooth transitions instead of just linear? Can they be smoothed using any methods?

I'm using Affinity Photo to create height maps for game design. I have found the gradient map to be a powerful tool, but with it's great capabilities for height map work it's flawed (maybe) in that it only seems to do linear transitions between values assigned along the black to grey spectrum. The following images are a usage where it would be a perfect solution but fails due to it's linear design.

Here I have created the foundation of a foot path up and over a mountain. It gets so close to being a perfect solution but the linear transitions cause the gradient map to fail asana actual solution, unless there is a way to smooth out the transitions. I have tried the "blending options" with several tests with poor results. I have not found documentation on it's use (blending options). My only remaining option (that I know of) is to manually blur the path after I rasterize it. Doable, but an lessor solution as I'm stuck with the un-editable path after and the extra time involved due to not having a smoothing option for the Gradient Map tool.

MAIN QUESTION:
Are there any methods available to me to smooth the transitions between values assigned across the gradient map?

ADDITIONAL FEATURE REQUEST TO DEVELOPERS:
Also, as a side request, can the gradient map window be allowed to be stretched wider for editing the nodes easier at a finer level in future releases? This would make the gradient map tool way more useful! As is you are limited when you want to place a high number of nodes in the tool. Also, a way to tell where the node is affecting in the image, a way to highlight it for a second, maybe with a button (invert node color button would work). Also, could the color values be placed right on the tool and not require a separate window to pull up to change color values, that would make it easier to use too. Should I do a separate post for these improvement ideas?

image.png.b3b25f1696c2c99ff7f8d626302caad9.pngimage.png.e31fdb996414fbc74f208fe86435c346.pngimage.png.5d00a595d6eba9a294bfb9ec9cb76cbc.pngimage.png.5ef0bc1722ce8b1a6a114590ab5edb7d.pngimage.png.e76786b2d1dc84feb0f80e8b100740e4.png

Posted (edited)

Live filter layer, stacked over the Gradient Mask layer did it!

My process:

1. Place path using a 0 to 255 range brush (pre-created using Affinity Designer)

2. New adjustment layer > Gradient Map layer 
Drag over top of 0 to 255 brush
Sample colors at each end to be same as start level and end level existing terrain color
Place nodes and adjust to match terrain values

3. New Live Filter Layer > Blur 
drag over top of 0 to 255 brush
Place between map and brush for correct hierarchy
set blur to x5 and "check preserve alpha"

If there is a way to do it within the Gradient map, please let me know, otherwise the above method seems to work for my needs.

image.png.586e21be0228ea227b6d6646cfb5561a.pngimage.png.c9ea6110fc907f4bde5237e9a95969a7.png

Edited by Grimlock
move text above images

Blur filters are the way to go to smooth out transitions between color values.

in some situations, using layer fx with Gaussian blur may be a shortcut to avoid adding extra filter layers.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

You can try curves adjustment instead. By default the transition between nodes is smoothed, not linear.

Another option is blend ranges.

unfortunately all have very small areas which cannot be enlarged.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

What are you making the terrain in?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 3/7/2024 at 1:29 PM, firstdefence said:

What are you making the terrain in?

I'm creating the terrain in Affinity Photo, test rendering in Aerialod, and the final height map is used in a Unity 3D based game engine.

On 3/7/2024 at 1:03 PM, NotMyFault said:

You can try curves adjustment instead. By default the transition between nodes is smoothed, not linear.

Another option is blend ranges.

unfortunately all have very small areas which cannot be enlarged.

I would have to disagree (EDIT: or maybe I misunderstood you, can you elaborate, thanks), you can see in the above image where I placed arrows that it is not smoothing by default.

Here is a few images from a test I did, you can see that it is linear. 0 to 255, strait shots between nodes, rendered for visual representation:

Gradient_Map_01 Default.png

Gradient_Map_01a Default.png

I do t see any curve adjustment with nodes edited, like below:

IMG_1096.png

On 3/8/2024 at 2:47 PM, Grimlock said:

I'm creating the terrain in Affinity Photo, test rendering in Aerialod, and the final height map is used in a Unity 3D based game engine.

@Grimlock Thanks for the information on Aerialod. It is really cool!

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.