You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preset names are not displayed on the 2nd and subsequent calls

When I create a live brightness range mask, I can select which preset I want to use. So far it works fine, but when I close it and open it a second time, only the curve is displayed and the name of the preset, i.e. Highlights, Midtones or Shadows, is no longer shown. I think the error is not necessarily new in V2.4 of Affinity Photo.

In addition, the opacity is set to 1% when a preset is selected.

Attached screenshot

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff

Hi @j3rry,

Thanks for your report!

I believe there are a few things happening here, but this behaviour is partly by design.

When selecting a Preset, the opacity should remain at 100% and not be set to 1% - the mask itself is actually not changing opacity here, this is simply a UI bug on macOS which I'm logging with our development team now. If you close and reopen the Live Mask dialog, you'll see this value returns to 100% as expected.

If you select a Preset, then close and reopen the Mask dialog without changing any of the Preset values, I'd expect the name to continue to be shown - which is the case on Windows but not on macOS, so I'm also logging this a bug now.

However, when selecting a named preset, I would only expect that name to continue to show if the values in the dialog are not edited. Once you have moved the Curve for the mask, the Preset is no longer applied and therefore the name should not be shown.
This means that the behaviour you see when reopening the dialog in your recording is correct, and the Preset name is not displayed provided you have edited the preset values - however on Windows the preset name is removed when editing the curve without requiring the dialog to be closed and reopened, so I'll be logging this with the UI team also.

I hope this helps :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

However, when selecting a named preset, I would only expect that name to continue to show if the values in the dialog are not edited. Once you have moved the Curve for the mask, the Preset is no longer applied and therefore the name should not be shown.

Hi @Dan C,

Though on Mac, even without editing the values in the preset, when the dialog is closed and reopened the name is no longer shown...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff
Just now, Hangman said:

Though on Mac, even without editing the values in the preset, when the dialog is closed and reopened the name is no longer shown...

Thanks for pointing this out Hangman, I've covered this in my post above -

13 minutes ago, Dan C said:

If you select a Preset, then close and reopen the Mask dialog without changing any of the Preset values, I'd expect the name to continue to be shown - which is the case on Windows but not on macOS, so I'm also logging this a bug now.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for pointing this out Hangman, I've covered this in my post above -

Oops, apologies, completely missed that... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @j3rry,

@Dan C, I testet it also without changing the curve and the preset name is not displayed the second time. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff
2 minutes ago, j3rry said:

@Dan C, I testet it also without changing the curve and the preset name is not displayed the second time. 

I've covered this in both my original reply, and in the clarification to Hangman above;

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Please note -

Many thanks!