You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest Affinity Designer freezes Windows (2.4.0)

Opening a file and doing anything causes the program to use up almost all of my ram that my computer freezes and has to be manually shutdown. I have 40gb of ram and it uses it all the moment I touch anything in a file.

How do i downgrade?

4 minutes ago, kov said:

How do i downgrade?

Go here: https://store.serif.com/update/windows/designer/2

Don't forget to uninstall version 2.4.0 before attempting to (re)install an earlier version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I tried uninstall and reinstalling. Downgrading. Removing all files of Affinity from my computer. Designer still consumes all my ram if I touch any buttons. it can just open a file and that's it. Otherwise doing anything uses up all my ram and freezes my computer until I force the computer to reset.

I have the same facts, Its Photo in my fall that frees up.
I have also the leatest beta running, and this is working without any problems.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

@kov,

Can you provide a screenshot of your Edit>Settings>Performance dialog?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Have you tried bumping up the Ram Usage Limit ? I only have 32GB and so far have never had any of the Affinity apps freeze up like this. Try playing with this setting so see if Designer stops freezing up.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar, possibly related issue, though it's on MacOS. Since 2.4, in Publisher, when I open the file I'm working on (~400MB, many linked assets), and perform any action, the UI partially freezes: I can still scroll through the sidebar or the pages, but any actions simply don't happen, like double-clicking on a page in a sidebar to go there, any keyboard shortcut, or anything in the menu. After downgrading to 2.3.1 the same file works fine again. It's a commercial project, so I can't attach the file unfortunately, nor have I been able to isolate it to any reproducible elements, but if there is any logging I can enable to dig into this, I'll happily do that.