You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After upgrading to version 2.4.0, documents stopped opening

After upgrading to version 2.4.0, documents stopped opening on my Windows 11 arm (Huawei). I am very saddened. Not a single document is not opening and I can't work. Reinstalling the application did not help. Is there any way to roll back to the stable version 2.3.1 for me? I really need to work.

I would be very grateful for help! 

2024-02-29 160757.png

Edited by Protopka

I found the 2.3.1 distribution and switching to an older version of the app solved my problem. I hope that in the next version this problem will be solved. It is inconvenient that every time I run the application it asks to update to 2.4 (((

• Staff

We suspect this might be due to some Open CL changes in the newer build. Could we get a screenshot of preferences / performance in 2.3.1 and if possible 2.4.0.

If we could also get a file that is not opening as well. You can upload it securely here.

If you do install 2.4.0 could you try turning off openCL and setting the renderer to warp then seeing if your documents open.

7 minutes ago, Pauls said:

We suspect this might be due to some Open CL changes in the newer build. Could we get a screenshot of preferences / performance in 2.3.1 and if possible 2.4.0.

If we could also get a file that is not opening as well. You can upload it securely here.

If you do install 2.4.0 could you try turning off openCL and setting the renderer to warp then seeing if your documents open.

I had absolutely all the files not opening. I won't be able to do that today. I will try to do the steps you mentioned tomorrow. I will post the results. 

• Staff

We're pretty sure its OpenCL causing the issue and turning that OFF in

Edit > Settings -> Performance - > Hardware Acceleration  

should allow the documents to open

In 2.3.1 (on an ARM device) Hardware Acceleration was not available. in 2.4.0 Hardware Acceleration is available and enabled. If you simple disable OpenCL it should allow you to use 2.4.0 and for it to behave just like 2.3.1 did

• Staff

We have emulated the problem on an ARM device and I have now tweaked the post above.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Pauls said:

We're pretty sure its OpenCL causing the issue and turning that OFF in

Edit > Settings -> Performance - > Hardware Acceleration  

should allow the documents to open

In 2.3.1 (on an ARM device) Hardware Acceleration was not available. in 2.4.0 Hardware Acceleration is available and enabled. If you simple disable OpenCL it should allow you to use 2.4.0 and for it to behave just like 2.3.1 did

54 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have emulated the problem on an ARM device and I have now tweaked the post above.

Thank you! I found this information helpful. Now I've got it all working. 

I am having this same problem on a Mac Studio M1 running Sonoma... Everything was fine but upgraded to the 2.4.0 version and now none of my files open, they just sit loading. I have tried turning off hardware acceleration and set to Software instead of OpenGL and nothing has changed. Please could you advise how to fix this as I have work deadlines to meet. Or is it possible to go back to a previous version which worked?

• Staff

Hi @DevivoE,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

I believe the issue you're experiencing is different to that reported above, the issue you're experiencing sounds link the known issue in our below FAQ -

In order to resolve this, under Apple > System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders > expand each Affinity app and disable 'iCloud Drive' for each entry.

Restart your mac and then try loading the documents once again - does this resolve the issue for you? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "intel builds on arm failing to render documents (OpenCL enabled)" (REF: AF-2173) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.2.2356".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.