You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quiz round

pioneer

4 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I think, as pioneer pointed out, you have to remember that these sort of "pub quizzes" are intended for a team of mixed players, not individuals. Everyone will have different interests and ranges of knowledge. It's hardly surprising that individuals may struggle with any general knowledge quiz. After all, what exactly is "general knowledge"? Some subjects may be familiar and seem like "common knowledge" to some people, whilst other people see the same things as strange and unusual. For example, I'm usually OK with questions about the arts, history and so on, but I have virtually no clue when it comes to sport, contemporary music or reality TV! On the other hand, I'm sometimes surprised by other peoples apparent complete lack of knowledge about some things that I would have thought were common knowledge, yet they turn out to be experts on things that are a "closed book" to me! It's more difficult than you might think to come up with quiz questions that are not either unfathomable by some people, nor idiotically simple for others, and try to get a balance that everyone will enjoy trying to answer! (Which is, at the end of the day the purpose of these quizzes – to enjoy them!)

@PaulEC Well presented. You put it into words better than could of. Thank you

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

Indeed

But even having had a go onn the internet at trying to find that landmark I still have not found the answer.

I found a list of sixty famous London landmarks but alas not one that fitted the puzzle.

I suppose that like the ship if and when I find the answer I will be amazed that I did not realize the by then "obvious" answer.

Hey ho. 😁

William

@William Overington Its classified an an iconic Grade II* listed, legendary London landmark. Would not normally give out clues but here we go........It was sold in November 1996 for £400 million.  November 2008, Chelsea F.C. was reported to be considering moving to a new purpose built 65,000 and 75,000 fan stadium. Two new underground stations, were opened on 20 September 2021. The construction cost £1.1 billion and is 3 km (1.9 mi) long. The developers provided £270m towards the construction of the extension. One of which is the last leg of one of the Northern line legs

Hope these clues have opened up other areas of you knowledge and helps

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home

Pink Floyd?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

I have now solved the landmark clue.

I had thought earlier that I had got the last word correct, and I was right, but alas I went off on a different train of thought! 😁

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

7 hours ago, William Overington said:

I think that I have the final word of the Famous London Landmark but maybe I have got the wrong word and that is putting me onto a wrong train of thought.

I had used it earlier too!

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

5 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Pink Floyd?

@AffinityJulesThat's a great clue ha ha

46 minutes ago, pioneer said:

@AffinityJulesThat's a great clue ha ha

It’s a great clue if you know about Algie the pig. :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

It’s a great clue if you know about Algie the pig. :P

And a blank wall if one has no idea what that is about.

But I managed to find out.

Back to the Famous London Landmark it seems.

Or was that what was meant?

I got that confused with Tate Modern. 😁

Have you ever heard of the orange blocks art project from around the early 2000s?

I remember it from that time. I tried to find it on the web some time ago but it appears to have gone. I first learned of it from a post in the Unicode mailing list as there was something about translation to do with the project.

William

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Have you ever heard of the orange blocks art project from around the early 2000s?

Not that I recall.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The idea was that there were a lot (maybe a hundred, but maybe it was two hundred and fifty) of individually numbered wooden blocks, painted orange, about the size and shape of a house brick, and the idea was to do something artistic, yet non-destructive of the block, involving the block in some way, photograph the result, post it, then pass the brick on to someone else, and so on. Those instructions on the block in some way in a number of languages.

For example, someone photographed a statue of Tychoe Brahe with one of the orange blocks stood on the top of the plinth, by one of the statue's feet.

Maybe it just happened in and around an art college or maybe it went much wider, I don't know.

I suppose that if it was done today the blocks could each have a QR code on them as well.

It all reinforces the idea that various people have knowledge of some things that other people know nothing about. I wonder how the average probability of a team of quiz participants knowing the answer to something rises with the number of people in the team. I say average because sometimes one additional person could add considerable knowledge about a subject to a team, whereas a different additional person might add only a small amount, yet perhaps usually something.

William

If you are of a certain age I expect that you would have heard of what was called by some "the pile of bricks". 😁

Oh the furore! 😁 

William