Quiz round

pioneer

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So its not Stonehenge then.

I have not solved any of them yet!

William

Must try harder @William Overington 😁

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I have not solved any of them yet!

To get started, pick one that tells you the first letter of one or more words. The well-known saying is quite a good one, since it has four words and you're given the first letter of two of them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

To get started, pick one that tells you the first letter of one or more words. The well-known saying is quite a good one, since it has four words and you're given the first letter of two of them.

Ooh, I solved that one!

I thought at first that it might be Butter me no parsnips. 😁

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

What sort of knwledge of various things does one need to solve these?

For example, I used to see episodes of Mastermind where one of the questions for General Knowledge would be about the BBC Soap Opera Eastenders. So easy perhaps for people who watch it regularly and a blank wall for those who never watch it.

For example, the cocktail, and is the film character from a film only seeable at the cinema, and so on. A film character could be from about 1910 onwards.

I wonder if John might consider doing a version with more letters filled in, and/or enhanced clues, so that when the quiz is being run people who are really stuck can have that version. Or would that not work at the event?

I realized that the name of a small bird would fit the surname of the film character, and there seemed to me to be two possible first names.

I searched on the web and I found a book that reminded me of an image often shown on television in the Tour de France.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

40 minutes ago, William Overington said:

For example, the cocktail, and is the film character from a film only seeable at the cinema, and so on.

I’ve never drunk the cocktail and I’ve never seen the film, but I’ve heard of both. And that’s all you need, of course.

40 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I realized that the name of a small bird would fit the surname of the film character, and there seemed to me to be two possible first names.

Since the film character’s name is four letters beginning with J, the possibilities are quite limited (but rather more than two). You’re correct about the small bird.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Since the film character’s name is four letters beginning with J, the possibilities are quite limited (but rather more than two). (You’re correct about the small bird.)

Yes I suppose there is John, Jane, Jean, Joan, José, Jack, Jill, and possibly others too.

William

43 minutes ago, William Overington said:

For example, I used to see episodes of Mastermind where one of the questions for General Knowledge would be about the BBC Soap Opera Eastenders. So easy perhaps for people who watch it regularly and a blank wall for those who never watch it.

You’re quite right. A general knowledge quiz is quite likely to depend heavily on popular culture such as soap operas.

Alfred spacer.png

Ooh I have now got the film character and the song!

So four in total so far, those two the country and the saying.

This is amazing for me as I usually look at puzzles of this sort of kind and cannot solve them,

William

@pioneer In your artwork it has TEAM NAME

I have just realized that that may well mean the name of a quiz team at the Indoor Bowls Club Event.

I had thought it was to do with the Sport question.

Do you think that TEAM NAME should perhaps become QUIZ TEAM NAME or NAME OF QUIZ TEAM

?

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I searched on the web and I found a book that reminded me of an image often shown on television in the Tour de France.

William

As they come up each time out of the tunnel in the middle of Paris.

William

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

What sort of knwledge of various things does one need to solve these?

For example, the cocktail, and is the film character from a film only seeable at the cinema, and so on. A film character could be from about 1910 onwards.

I wonder if John might consider doing a version with more letters filled in, and/or enhanced clues, so that when the quiz is being run people who are really stuck can have that version. Or would that not work at the event?

William

@William Overington as regards  your suggestion a producing a version with more letters as this IMHO would make the quiz too easy.  You are looking at this from an individual viewpoint whereas the Quiz night will consist of at least six members per team of varying ages so they will have the opportunity to pool their knowledge.

With your reference to Mastermind, If I were asked a question about Eastenders I would probably struggle with it. Apart from the square where it is set and ome of the early characters along with the pub name etc which are just things that I have picked up over the years  and are stored away in some sort of distant box in my brain/memory.

I have taken onboard your observation about the "Quiz team name".  Sadly this was an oversight from me when I created the page I had to find somewhere to put it after I had finished the quiz. I have swapped FILM and SPORT around to try and avoid confusion even more

I am most grateful for your input.  Cheers John

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

I have now got five, so half way through.

I cannot think of any 17th Century ships.

The 17th Century is 1601 to 1700

I have seen the clues.

I have found the following, though the ship in the quiz might not be a warship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_early_warships_of_the_English_navy

William

20 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I cannot think of any 17th Century ships.

The 17th Century is 1601 to 1700

I think the 17th century is widely regarded, rightly or wrongly, as beginning on the first day of January 1600 and ending on the last day of December 1699. I’m reminded of the fireworks marking the end of the millennium, which were set off a year too early (at the end of 1999 instead of the end of 2000).

20 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I have seen the clues.

Take another look at these two:

23 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you can’t get it now dear, think about it a bit more and you might petal.

20 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

blooming month?

Alfred spacer.png

Those are the clues at which I looked.

The only answer that is a near fit at that time period, yet I don't know if it is a ship, is a well-known word from the middle of that century. But that word has eight letters and there are nine rectangles.

So I have not solved the first three puzzles nor the final two puzzles.

I think that I have the final word of the Famous London Landmark but maybe I have got the wrong word and that is putting me onto a wrong train of thought.

All of which may well mean that the quiz here presented is right for the event because the event is a flop if everybody answers all of the questions straight off within one minute. The entertainment is that people chat and try to solve it together.

William

The ship wasn’t a military vessel, it was a transport ship.
Maybe forget the 17th Century part of the clue, and just think of a very famous old ship.

The landmark hasn’t been used for the purpose that its name suggests for quite some time.
It’s very large in both height and footprint.

I have now found the name of the ship.

I put

Famous old ship

into BIng and it gave a list.

Of course ... well I say of course now, but that is a Columbus egg type thing as I was simply stuck.

I understand the clues now.

On to try to discover the landmark ...

William

I think, as pioneer pointed out, you have to remember that these sort of "pub quizzes" are intended for a team of mixed players, not individuals. Everyone will have different interests and ranges of knowledge. It's hardly surprising that individuals may struggle with any general knowledge quiz. After all, what exactly is "general knowledge"? Some subjects may be familiar and seem like "common knowledge" to some people, whilst other people see the same things as strange and unusual. For example, I'm usually OK with questions about the arts, history and so on, but I have virtually no clue when it comes to sport, contemporary music or reality TV! On the other hand, I'm sometimes surprised by other peoples apparent complete lack of knowledge about some things that I would have thought were common knowledge, yet they turn out to be experts on things that are a "closed book" to me! It's more difficult than you might think to come up with quiz questions that are not either unfathomable by some people, nor idiotically simple for others, and try to get a balance that everyone will enjoy trying to answer! (Which is, at the end of the day the purpose of these quizzes – to enjoy them!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

23 minutes ago, William Overington said:

a Columbus egg type thing

Thanks, William. I don’t think I’d previously encountered the expression ‘Columbus egg’ in my travels!

Alfred spacer.png

"I put Famous old ship into BIng and it gave a list."

That's why they ban the use of mobile phones during quizzes! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

39 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thanks, William. I don’t think I’d previously encountered the expression ‘Columbus egg’ in my travels!

Now that amazes me.

There is a sculpture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_of_Columbus

More about the sculpture is in the following page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant_Antoni_de_Portmany

William

4 hours ago, PaulEC said:

"I put Famous old ship into BIng and it gave a list."

That's why they ban the use of mobile phones during quizzes! 😁

Indeed

But even having had a go on the internet at trying to find that landmark I still have not found the answer.

I found a list of sixty famous London landmarks but alas not one that fitted the puzzle.

I suppose that like the ship if and when I find the answer I will be amazed that I did not realize the by then "obvious" answer.

Hey ho. 😁

William

7 minutes ago, William Overington said:

trying to find that landmark I still have not found the answer

Did you see the clue on the previous page of this thread?

On 2/29/2024 at 9:07 AM, GarryP said:

You could say that the place has had ‘gone to the dogs’.

Alfred spacer.png

57 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

For example, I'm usually OK with questions about the arts, history and so on, but I have virtually no clue when it comes to sport, contemporary music or reality TV!

That is similar to how I am with quiz questions.

I can usually get the few science ones that arise but not anything about recent cinema releases. I had not heard of the name of the film character in this quiz.

I think it would be fun if we could each send John a question by a private message, with the answer, and John if he so chooses produce a quiz sheet with the questions on and post that. That could be an interesting puzzle to solve. Nothing too obscure, but not the soap opera, etc knowledge stuff either.

William

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Did you see the clue on the previous page of this thread?

Yes! 😁

It is like the ship question. Once I know the answer the clues then solve the puzzle!

William