You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying a selection to a new file.

Suppose I have a cartoon character in a .png file.

I open that file and do a selection of the character. Now I can paint inside the selection and my strokes are constrained within the selection.

I then open a file with a beach scene and try to paste the selected cartoon character into this file.

However, when I paste, I don't get the selection but rather the entire .png.

So, my question is how do I copy and paste a selection across files?

Thanks,

-dmd-

If you Place a PNG file into/onto a Photo document that PNG file is an Image layer, you would need to make it a Raster layer by Rasterizing it. Then the selection will work.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, delpi767 said:

I was doing that but expected that loading the selection from a file would also bring in the image.

No, saving and loading selections is all about applying the same selection to multiple images, not copying selected content.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If you Place a PNG file into/onto a Photo document that PNG file is an Image layer, you would need to make it a Raster layer by Rasterizing it. Then the selection will work.

I've never gotten this to work for me.  When I copy the rasterized image I still get the entire .png.  Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

I've never gotten this to work for me.  When I copy the rasterized image I still get the entire .png.  Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

If you’ve made a pixel selection, you should only ever get the entire PNG if you haven’t actually rasterized the image. The Layers panel should tell you what you currently have, denoting the layer/object type as either ‘(Image)’ or ‘(Pixel)’ after the layer name.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

No, saving and loading selections is all about applying the same selection to multiple images, not copying selected content.

Thanks again.  One further question, when I load a selection from a file how can I move that selection within the new file?

Thanks again

Thanks again.

You’re welcome. :)

2 minutes ago, delpi767 said:

One further question, when I load a selection from a file how can I move that selection within the new file?

Regardless of whether the selection is previously saved or newly drawn, you can move it by choosing any of the selection tools and dragging inside the selection outline with the mouse pointer.

3 minutes ago, delpi767 said:

Thanks again

You’re welcome again! :D

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you’ve made a pixel selection, you should only ever get the entire PNG if you haven’t actually rasterized the image. The Layers panel should tell you what you currently have, denoting the layer/object type as either ‘(Image)’ or ‘(Pixel)’ after the layer name.

Maybe I don't understand how to rasterize an image.  I select it in the layers panel, right click and select rasterize.  There is no "Image" or "Pixel" after the name.  It simply says background.

30 minutes ago, delpi767 said:

There is no "Image" or "Pixel" after the name.  It simply says background.

Sorry, I thought you’d said you were using version 1, but I was getting confused between you and another user. I don’t know why they’ve omitted that helpful information for version 2.

If ‘Rasterize’ doesn’t work for you, try ‘Rasterize & Trim’.

Edited by Alfred
See later posts

Alfred spacer.png

11 minutes ago, delpi767 said:

There is no "Image" or "Pixel" after the name.  It simply says background.

If you're using V2 the indication is the icon displayed with the layer. Perhaps this share a screenshot of the problem file, including the Layers panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're using V2 the indication is the icon displayed with the layer.

Ah. so 'tis! I don't use APh often, and since upgrading to version 2 I've hardly used the desktop version at all. Looking at it now, I see there's a handy tooltip when you hover over that icon.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're using V2 the indication is the icon displayed with the layer. Perhaps this share a screenshot of the problem file, including the Layers panel?

Thanks Walt,

I've attached both the beach scene which shows  Fred where you can see the bounding box and a second which shows where I have cut out Fred to paste him in the first.

Lest you are concerned with copyright, this stuff will never leave my home.  Kinda just a learning exercise.

Thanks,

Dave

selections.png

fred.png

In your first screenshot, you have. Pixel layer on top of an Image layer. But you apparently have no pixel selection active. 

In your second screenshot, you have a Fill layer on the bottom, and a Pixel layer with something inside it above that (I'm not sure what, exactly, as you haven't expanded the top layer. And apparently you do have a pixel selection active there.

Help: https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Layers/aboutLayers.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

a Pixel layer with something inside it above that (I'm not sure what, exactly, as you haven't expanded the top layer

The thumbnails indicate a transparent layer with a (Fred Flintstone shape) raster mask.

Alfred spacer.png