You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RGB/32 HDR & Background Transparency Bug?

When using RGB/8 or 16, The background transparency functions as expected.

When working in RGB/32 HDR, with background transparency on, everything just appears white. When using a soft brush (eraser or mask)  the center of the brush has a solid white core. The grid is seen around the edges, but not the center. see pic.

When the files is exported, the images appears as expected.

Is this a bug, or something to do with the function of 32bit.

export.png

working.png

MacMini 2018 Intel 32GB, Blackmagic eGPU AMD Radeon Pro 580
Affinity Photo 2.3.1, macOS 14.3
LG Ultrawide HDR

MacBook Pro 2020 13" Intel 16GB

iPad Pro 2021 11" 3rd gen. M1
Affinity Photo 2.3.1, iOS 17.3.1

4 minutes ago, HumanByDesign said:

When working in RGB/32 HDR, with background transparency on, everything just appears white.

Not for me on Windows. Do you have a sample document for us?

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

Works for me on Mac M1. May depend on OS / GPU Driver etc.

Please give more details:

• OS + Version
  • GPU
  • GPU driver (Microsoft or GPU vendor)
  • GPU driver version (game ready or studio)
  • Any special settings in GPU driver?
  • Display HW Model
  • ICC Profile used
  • Is your system HDR capable end-2-end (OS, GPU driver, Display)?

So others with identical/similar environment can try to reproduce.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Did you enable 32-bit Preview and EDR?

Is your display set to HDR/EDR? in OS and Display?

Please give screenshots showing full window, and 32-bit-preview panel.

Provide screenshots of Performance Settings in Affinity.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Mac mini 2018, Intel
macOS 14.3
Blackmagic eGPU, Radeon Pro 580
Affinity Photo 2.3.1
HDR
32bit Preview on with EDR
Tried multiple ICC profiles, no change
LG Ultrawide

I just tested this on my iPad and everything displays as expected. No Problems.

LG Ultrawide HDR

Could be related to eGPU. Try to change performance settings, deactivate hw acceleration.

A have occasional rendering issues where a reboot of Mac helps.

• Staff

Hi @HumanByDesign,

I can also confirm this is correctly displayed for me on both macOS and Windows - though may be related to your monitor colour profile.

11 hours ago, HumanByDesign said:

Tried multiple ICC profiles, no change

Can you please verify, were you changing the ICC profile used by the document itself, or the one associated with your monitor?

if you change your monitor profile under Apple > System Settings > Display, does this then correctly render in Affinity for you? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Tried both. In doc and Mac sys settings. Unfortunately no change.
However, I did find that if you use the pointer tool and click drag a marquee across the entire canvas, everything displays as expected. You can see the transparency squares of the base canvas, and white core of the brush tool disappears. If you are working with multiple layers, and not altering the bottom pixel layer, the brush works properly. It seems to be specific to the layer closest to the canvas. Also, if a pop up window like the Save As prompt appears, everything looks fine. As soon as you confirm your selection, and the window disappears, it goes wonky again.  So this appears to be something else altogether. 

LG Ultrawide HDR

• Staff

That certainly sounds like strange behaviour that I'm unable to replicate here currently - are you able to provide a screen recording showing this for me please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Looks all fine - what do I miss?
somtimes screenrecording cannot capture HDR content correctly. Is the video showing what you see when not recording?

• Staff

Thanks for providing that - I agree the behaviour shown in the recording looks correct to me, and I can't see any visual changes when creating the marquee selection over the image.

As above I suspect that the issue is not being shown in the SDR recording?

Please note -

Many thanks!

Ok so I just opened this forum link, and watched the video through the browser on my iPad. The video does in fact display correctly on the iPad.

I think at this point this is entirely a hardware problem on my end, with my desktop computer. Although I am at a complete loss as to why. I'm going to trouble shoot for a while.

The help has been much appreciated. Thx again.

LG Ultrawide HDR