You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Did I buy the wrong version? A photoshop convert.

Hello. I tried to search but couldnt find any answer. I have been using photoshop since 1997. I just recently bought Affinity Designer 2. I am certainly confused about a lot of things making the switch. I am glad to be switching but I am having issues.

I do not see a robust filter section. I generally used the Photoshops Render->Fibers feature. I don't see any render filters, Distort, etc. So...did I buy the wrong version of Affinity?

A lot of my work lately  is graphics of ww2 aircraft. So my work flow was making outlines in Illustrator and doing all the painting and texturing in Photoshop. Can someone help me with the transition and if I bought the wrong version of Affinity? I am a bit lost here.

Affinity Photo isn't a clone of Photoshop, it doesn't have a lot of the filters Photoshop has, so you have the only version, there is no derivative, what you see is what you get.

You can use the procedural texture filter and you can also check out the resource section of this website for texture brushes: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/11-resources/ @StuartRc is a prolific creator of texture brushes and is very generous in sharing them in the resource section.

There are plugins out there that you can add to Affinity that will create texture, like FilterForge, Exposure Softwares Eye Candy - although dwarfed by FilterForges range of filters.  

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@Sukavi. hello and welcome to the forums.

I think Affinity Photo would be the better choice for you. Affinity Designer has no plug-in support yet. And the procedural texture filter is only available in Affinity Photo.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Thank you.  So I realized my mistake was buying Designer. Thats the vector program. which i needed anyway. I just bought Affinity Photo and see it has more of the photoshopesque abilities i need.  I was confused because when i initially checked the Designer app it had raster paint abilities and I mistakenly thought it was a two in one like illustrator+photoshop.  I appreciate the Resource link. Thank you very much!

You are welcome!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

3 hours ago, Sukavi said:

I was confused because when i initially checked the Designer app it had raster paint abilities and I mistakenly thought it was a two in one like illustrator+photoshop.

In fact, Designer is sort of the "entry level" Affinity app because apart from its vector focus, at has also good typography features as well as basic bitmap editing capabilities. As such, it is a e.g an excellent starting point e.g. for design hobbyists on a budget.

3 hours ago, Sukavi said:

I just bought Affinity Photo

To fully enable the power of Affinity, it's actually about the "wholly trinity" which also includes Publisher's advanced typography features.

And the often overlooked "killer feature" is then the universal Affinity document format, making it a breeze to switch between the three apps on the fly, either via "File→Edin in…", or via Publisher's StudioLink without even leaving the app.

4 hours ago, Sukavi said:

I have been using photoshop since 1997.

For what it's worth, I also started with PS around the early or mid-1990s. And even though I've been an occasional Affinity user since its launch in 2014, it wasn't before 2019 until I was "mentally ready" to make the switch and open my mindset to different workflows. :D 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2