You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ALTERNATIVE to After Effects

Hey Affinity Team,

This is SERIOUS we need a After Effects alternative from YOU. I know you know how good it is to bring your PS designs to life by importing your layers into AE.

One of the best features of Adobe is the ability to import layers and elements between programs. You can prepare your designs in PS and import the layers into AE for animation.

And that's something that WE NEED from YOU!

Let us know if there's a way to do that (with a third party app or if you're working on a solution for it). We love you, and you know that... That's why we ask you for this.

If you need volunteers for the development, design process or UX, I'm opened to help with that (no money on the table)

Thanks a Million!

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, D.VE said:

There are so many really good (even better) Alternatives to Adobe Video Products.

I prefer if Serif continues to focus on the existing products. There is much room from improvement

The advantage of another Affinity application (any) would be a common (easily shareable) file format (if that was even possible), and a unified user interface (if that was even possible). Fortunately, Serif has repeatedly confirmed that it is not yet thinking about other applications and the fragmentation of development capacities.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:57 AM, Pšenda said:

if that was even possible

It would be difficult to do that in any sensible manner without introducing animation/video features into the current products, which Serif has indicated a few times in the past they have no intention of doing at this time, same as 3D features.

I don't believe this is a good fit for the Affinity product line at this time.

As has been pointed out above, there are alternatives out there: Apple Motion (Mac only), Blackmagic Design Fusion, Natron, some limited capabilities in Blender, maybe even something like Tumult Hype (Mac only) or Synfig Studio depending on the type of work you are trying to use it for...

FWIW, I use a Mac only very simple app called Keyshape for simple vector animations. It is no Aftereffects, not even close, but for simple stuff it is very capable. You can open a layered svg file exported out of Designer and it comes in really clean with effects and transparency. (I haven't tried all of the effects but I know gaussian blur works). It retains all of the layer structure and layer names. It is very lightweight and nimble (unlike AE) and outputs in a variety of formats including Lottie (with a free plugin from their github page), webp, mpeg-4, gif, png, svg, jpeg and even as a sprite sheet. There are also some simple interactivity ability features.

For examples of some simple animations based on static Designer source files of mine checkout my animation page on my site. https://www.kevincreative.com/Animation.html

The app can only be bought I believe at the mac app store, just search for Keyshape. There is a 14 day free trial version at https://www.keyshapeapp.com/

I would love to see Serif step into the animation ring but like someone else said here there are enough unfinished issues they have to deal with with the current lineup that adding another app into the mix will only complicate, imo. Until then apps like Keyshape might be useful...