You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher page numbering

Hello

I am making photo books using Publisher and am not initially setting up files as books. Page numbering is set to automatic but when I update the file, adding and removing pages, the position of the page numbers doesn't update (that is the applicable master page) though the numbers do. At the moment the file is set up with two master pages, left hand and right hand.

Is it possible to change the master page for individual pages that need updating?

or

Is it possible to transform a file into a book? I have looked at this but could not find an option for either of these. Please can you advise?

I have been getting very good printed results from the software, exporting to PDF and the images prepared through A Photo. These are not yet really fully bound books but temporary spiral bound 40 page A4.

Michael

59 minutes ago, ms.fuentecilla said:

Is it possible to transform a file into a book? I have looked at this but could not find an option for either of these. Please can you advise?

A single .afpub saved as/in a book file? With what goal or advantage? Where have you "looked at this" (…without finding an option)?

>> Creating books – Books are created and their contents managed using the Books panel, on which you can add, remove, replace and rearrange chapters.<<

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

My question was obviously not clear. Quite obviously books can be created but what I asked was whether an already completed file with pages, images and references be converted afterwards into a 'Book' in Affinity publisher's meaning of the term? In other words is there some way in which a completed publisher file can be dropped into the Publisher 'Book' format?

They can obviously be printed as books because that is what I have done.

Any .afpub file can be added into an Affinity Publisher Book, via the Books panel. It would then be a chapter, in Affinity terms. But without more information on why you want to do that it's hard to say how well it will work.

Also, you should probably make a physical copy of the .afpub file and add that, rather than adding your original file. Being part of a Book makes some changes that may affect the stand-alone use of that .afpub file. Also, it can only be part of one Book.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello all and thanks. The problem is that I had totally misunderstood the concept of 'Book' in Publisher and now realise that it isn't what I wanted. Sorry to take up your time and thank you again. Walt thank you especially for the warning. I hadn't anticipated that since there is no warning for it.

3 minutes ago, ms.fuentecilla said:

Hello all and thanks. The problem is that I had totally misunderstood the concept of 'Book' in Publisher and now realise that it isn't what I wanted. Sorry to take up your time and thank you again. Walt thank you especially for the warning. I hadn't anticipated that since there is no warning for it.

If you did add your only copy to a Book it will be fine as a standalone. If you open a document that is part of a Book without the Book being open, you'll be able to edit the file as if it wasn't part of a Book and any changes that the Book feature made to it (such as modifying how numbering works) can then be changed.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)