You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - How to learn "photorealistic" Product-Design ?

PHOTREALISIC (real) HARDWARE-Products looks often very different than i get with 5 hours of AD-learning ;-) 

A Coffemaschine, a groovebox, even a  simpl Power-on-off ENERGY button... looks (in real) very other than my TRYs. ;-)

I know there are some nice YT-vids outside.. but i cant not found ist anymore....

I mean all this " Shadows and Bevel/Amboss., 3-D..." stuff  with good exampleys....

Do you habe any good (= explonation well...) VID in your TAB_list?

Please share! Thank you!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• Staff

Hi @Polygonius,

I'm not aware of anything tutorial wise that we (Affinity) have created that covers this, happy to be proven wrong if anyone else reading this is aware of one :)

A quick search on YouTube for Affinity metal textures, or swap out the word metal for whatever texture you are looking to create, should return a number of results, which could get you started.  

The "Affinity Spotlight" articles often introduce kind of masters of their work. A search for their names might lead you to an according tutorial on other websites. For instance:

"The art of crafting things with Felix Hernandez" or "Naturalistic illustration" by Isabel Aracama …

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/level-up-your-skills-with-top-tips-and-tricks-from-affinity-pro-users/

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/keeping-it-real-the-photorealistic-automotive-art-of-richard-kelly/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@Polygonius Product Design is usually done with CAD software. There are a variety of CAD software available that are used depending on what specifically is being designed. Some CAD software are also capable of generating photorealistic renders of the designed products. There are also stand-alone software used only for photorealistic rendering both still images and animations.

Affinity Design and Photo may certainly be used somewhere along the product design pipeline but typically not for product design itself or 3D rendering. If, however, the product is 2-dimensional, Affinity software could certainly handle that.

While there are talented artists that can produce photo realistic images with Affinity software, I would categorize this work as illustration and not product design. That being said, it is a wide world and there are always exceptions to any rule.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.