You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyphenation feature within Affinity Publisher 2.0 in the Dutch language.

Can anyone tell me if the hyphenation feature within Affinity Publisher 2.0 works in the Dutch language? I occasionally get to see words on my screen, which are hyphenated, but are underlined in red.

-----------------------

Kan iemand mij vertellen of de afbreekfunctie binnen Affinity Publisher 2.0 in de Nederlandse taal werkt? Ik krijg af en toe op mijn beeldscherm woorden te zien, die zijn afgebroken, maar die rood zijn onderstreept.

7 minutes ago, AvdB-Netherlands said:

Can anyone tell me if the hyphenation feature within Affinity Publisher 2.0 works in the Dutch language? I occasionally get to see words on my screen, which are hyphenated, but are underlined in red.

-----------------------

Kan iemand mij vertellen of de afbreekfunctie binnen Affinity Publisher 2.0 in de Nederlandse taal werkt? Ik krijg af en toe op mijn beeldscherm woorden te zien, die zijn afgebroken, maar die rood zijn onderstreept.

Yes, but you'll need to install the hyphenation dictionary. If you're on macOS, the spelling dictionary is included with macOS but you have to install the hyphenation dictionary. If you're on Windows, you'll need to install both the spelling and hyphenation dictionaries. You can download the files from this page, read the instructions carefully because you must place the hyphenation dictionary into a folder you will create named nl_NL. Cheers.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Here another despairing user (Publisher 2.3.1, MacOS 14.3.1).

What I tried to get hyphenation in Dutch working:

• downloaded the file hyph_nl_NL.dic.txt through the link on the FAQ page
  • navigated to [user] > Library > Spelling
  • created a new folder nl_NL
  • moved het hyphenation file to this new folder
  • restarted Publisher

Dutch still doesn't show up as an option for hyphenation. The Auto setting doesn't do the trick. What to do?

6 minutes ago, Bartd said:

downloaded the file hyph_nl_NL.dic.txt through the link on the FAQ page

As mentioned on that FAQ page, you must download it in a way that gives you a .dic file, not a .txt file. I would download again, following the instructions more closely. (Possibly just renaming what you have would work, but I don't know.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As mentioned on that FAQ page, you must download it in a way that gives you a .dic file, not a .txt file. I would download again, following the instructions more closely. (Possibly just renaming what you have would work, but I don't know.)

Thank you, Walt, this brought me one step closer. Dutch now shows as an option for hyphenation. But still my text is not hyphenated.

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

nl_NL\nl_NL.dic
nl_NL\nl_NL.aff
nl_NL\hyph_nl_NL.dic.txt  <--hyph_nl_NL.dic

Thank you, Tiger. You're right, The .txt file was part of the problem. Fixing that, I got Dutch to be shown as an option for hyphenation. But my text doesn't get hyphenated. Moving the .dic and .aff files from Spelling to nl_NL didn't work for me either. 

11 minutes ago, Bartd said:

... But my text doesn't get hyphenated. Moving the .dic and .aff files from Spelling to nl_NL didn't work for me either. 

Look also carefully through this thread here, the last posts of MikeTo & Nick1984 (...the later is on Win too according to his shown screenshot) that may show you how to solve your problem ...

Aka ...

I still had to check the Auto Hyphenation in the Paragraph panel box.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

36 minutes ago, Bartd said:

Thank you, Walt, this brought me one step closer. Dutch now shows as an option for hyphenation. But still my text is not hyphenated.

Have you enabled Automatic Hyphenation in the Paragraph panel or Paragraph Text Style? And if it's existing text, and you're not using a Text Style, have you selected the text and applied the Automatic Hyphenation setting to it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1