You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toggle UI - opening a studio with the UI hidden affects the toggle function

There is an issue with the toggle UI function in the version 2.3.1, which is still present in Beta version 2.4.0.2256. When you open a studio with the UI hidden, this affects the toggle UI function. Sometimes, the bug is worse as it greys out the studios and they cannot be recalled when the UI is shown after using toggle UI again. This behaviour is erratic, not sure why sometimes all the studios get hidden alltogether as well, see screenshot below. Note it was clipped to improve readability, but none of the studios are displayed.

image.thumb.png.b02dc92b32ee6ae3a00ff2b23fc01200.png

Steps to reproduce

1. Open a document, in this case I used Publisher
2. Make sure to show all toolbars, some studios and the tools
3. Invoke toggle UI from View > Toggle UI
4. With all of the UI hidden, use Ctrl F (to get the Find and replace panel to open) - I often use toggle UI here, because it allows me to see and read both pages of my document in Publisher.
5. Optionally, close the find and replace panel
6. Invoke toggle UI from View > Toggle UI
7. Notice how the tools, toolbar and studios are gone — or in the beta notice how you now toggle the studios and how parts of the UI are hidden. When Find and replace is closed, the only way to get the studios to reappear, because they can't be recalled from the Window menubar, is to activate Find and replace again.

Video from 2.3.1

Video from the Beta version 2.4.0.2256

Expected behaviour
In this case, I would expect to only open the find and replace panel when my UI is hidden, so I can still use the panels that I open with a minimal UI active. Other than that, I expect there to bet two modes, one with all UI elements minimised and one wherein all UI elements that I had enabled visible.

This is on Windows 10.0.19045.

You probably need to use the Window > Studio > Hide Studio toggle if you want to get the Studio back. I'm not sure that should be required, but I think it will resolve your problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You probably need to use the Window > Studio > Hide Studio toggle if you want to get the Studio back. I'm not sure that should be required, but I think it will resolve your problem.

I tried loading the custom studio preset I made, but that doesn't return the hidden studios. Haven't tried your method, just opening the find and replace panel again is easier to do anyways in case the studios dissapear in the void. 😉

18 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

I tried loading the custom studio preset I made, but that doesn't return the hidden studios.

Probably because that doesn't override Hide Studio.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Intuos5,

Thanks for providing detail along with the recordings, I've now logged this with the developers.

For comparison, on Mac invoking the Find & Replace panel via CMD + F with the UI toggled off re-reveals all studio panels and toolbars, essentially undoing the UI toggle. I'm not sure if the current Mac behaviour is the expected or what you have described is, but i'll leave that for the devs to determine.