You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All AFF... any possibilty (key-shortcut) to escape the text-tool?

If my both hands on the keybord -- its a "wide way" to to move one hand to mouse and select in toolbar another tool than the TEXT_TOOL.

I would send "welcome" to an option that i can ESCAPE test-tool via (eg. cmd+t).

And i would doubel welcome that this shorty is so smart: to recognize what i want "as next": For example: i hit cmd+t PLUS i hit (inside 1 second) also V =the tool box will deactivet TEXT-tool  and activate the MOVE tool! 

Any solutions/suggestions for such stunt?

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Have you tried the Esc (Escape) key? You may need to press it twice, in some circumstances, depending on what you want to do next.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Polygonius said:

And i would doubel welcome that this shorty is so smart: to recognize what i want "as next": For example: i hit cmd+t PLUS i hit (inside 1 second) also V =the tool box will deactivet TEXT-tool  and activate the MOVE tool! 

A not so well known command is to use CMD+D to deselect the text tool when in editing mode. Then hit the shortcut key for the tool you want to use next.

But basically CMD+D (I think it's Option+D on Mac) behaves the same as ESC.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Note that Cmd+D (shortcut for the Deselect command in the Select menu) will deselect the text frame entirely while Esc's action varies:

• If text is selected in a text frame: Esc will deselect the text and leave the text cursor in the frame.
  • If the cursor is in a text frame: Esc will remove the text cursor from the frame but leave the frame selected.

Unfortunately, assigning Esc to Deselect will not work in a text frame because the behaviour of the Esc key is hardcoded in the context of editing text. But if Cmd+D isn't convenient enough you could find another single key to map to it.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you tried the Esc (Escape) key? You may need to press it twice, in some circumstances, depending on what you want to do next.

Thanks.

I have my ESCAPE_key set to deselect (all)... so it cannot work? But if there is a COMMAND, to "ESCAPE from Teyt-modus", so i should be able to re-shorty this? (in my logic).

But where is this  COMMAND of this and how to find... so i can re-shorty this?

I am very familar with shortcuts-preferences... as far i know, where this ITEM is to find!

PS: All AFF_Apps shortcut-manager... why is there no way to search to Commands and show" conflicts" (yleeow Alaram... via rightclick... is this so difficault to implement?Have a look at the FREEWARE oceanaudio ... so should a shortcut.manager look like (even better ist BITWIG... but yeah, this a Pay-appp...) At least Ocean-Audio-like shorty.manager you should have!

37 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Note that Cmd+D (shortcut for the Deselect command in the Select menu) will deselect the text frame entirely while Esc's action varies:

• If text is selected in a text frame: Esc will deselect the text and leave the text cursor in the frame.
  • If the cursor is in a text frame: Esc will remove the text cursor from the frame but leave the frame selected.

Unfortunately, assigning Esc to Deselect will not work in a text frame because the behaviour of the Esc key is hardcoded in the context of editing text. But if Cmd+D isn't convenient enough you could find another single key to map to it.

Thanks.