You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I found a pic of a wall-mounted sundial at Norbury Manor in Derbyshire in my old photos. (It's a National Trust property, and open to visitors from time to time.) It was erected as a memorial to (I think) the former owner, who died in 1987. I've changed all the inscriptions in the foolish hope of looking clever.

Dial-01T-BIG.jpg.490d33e6e7f1afc7b2449bc1c130a0c6.jpg

The base colour is 45/38/71 in HSL . . .

image.png.0392e303f58fd7ee838d061c7100172a.png

and I found a grungy texture in my collection (this is a reduced copy) . . .
image.png.2a836634ff206ce14049b5ab7e5b1853.png

and after some playing about, I found an opacity or 25% and a blend mode Colour Burn gave me a pleasing marble-like effect.
For the incised text, I darkened the fill slightly and applied an Inner Bevel/Emboss FX using the first (triangular) profile, inverted. I adjusted the radius till the bevels met in the middle, making the letters look as though they'd been carved.

Would it be possible to make a separate version without the shadow of the gnomon on the picture, then if the gnomon were a separate piece then both pieces printed on cardboard there could be a construction kit.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I don’t know anything about sundials but somehow position of the hours doesn’t feel correct. They are no clockwise. 😳Or is that linked to the stand of the statue? (As twelve o’clock has no shadow) Anyway, I love this artwork! Compliments!

10 hours ago, William Overington said:

Would it be possible to make a separate version without the shadow of the gnomon on the picture, then if the gnomon were a separate piece then both pieces printed on cardboard there could be a construction kit.

William

Yes it would, William. But the angle of the gnomon and the position of the hours will depend on your latitude and the direction the wall is facing. This one is about 53 degrees north and facing a little off south.) There are websites that can give you the information and some will explain how to work it out yourself.

5 minutes ago, Ashcat said:

I don’t know anything about sundials but somehow position of the hours doesn’t feel correct. They are no clockwise. 😳Or is that linked to the stand of the statue? (As twelve o’clock has no shadow) Anyway, I love this artwork! Compliments!

Thanks for the compliments, Ashcat! This is in the northern hemisphere, and the sun moves across the dial from right to left, so the shadow moves the other way. Clocks came after sundials, so I don't know why 'clockwise' is actually 'widdershins'!

1 hour ago, Ashcat said:

I don’t know anything about sundials but somehow position of the hours doesn’t feel correct.

To try and give a bit more detail to what Kasper-V has already said above…

The sundial is in Derbyshire, England, which is in the Northern Hemisphere.
(I am assuming that the sundial is installed in the place where it was designed to be used, and not taken from elsewhere.)

The thread title tells us that the sundial is vertically-mounted, rather than horizontal.

In order for it to be usable we can also assume that it was installed on a south-facing wall (or similar), since it is in the Northern Hemisphere, otherwise the sunlight wouldn’t fall directly on it and, therefore, the sundial wouldn’t be easy to read.

Since the Sun rises in the East, and the sundial is in the Northern Hemisphere, and we are looking towards the North when reading the sundial, the sunlight will first hit the sundial, at dawn, at a low angle just above the horizon to the East (on our right), which will cast a shadow on the sundial on the left, e.g. near the 7 A.M. position.

The Sun will then continue to move West, and behind us, with the shadow angling further ‘down’ and to our right moving towards midday (12) at the bottom of the sundial.

After midday the Sun will continue moving West with the shadow angling further ‘up’ and to our right towards the 6 P.M. position after which the Sun eventually goes down on the Western horizon.

I hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Kasper-V said:

Yes it would, William. But the angle of the gnomon and the position of the hours will depend on your latitude and the direction the wall is facing. This one is about 53 degrees north and facing a little off south.) There are websites that can give you the information and some will explain how to work it out yourself.

It could be used as a demonstration model with a torch.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.