You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blender .exr to Affinity (the technical aspect of this is overwhelming to me :((((

Hi,

As a blender and Affinity user, I would like to benefit from the Agx view transform and be able to tweak the image in Affinity Photo.
I'm currently exporting to .exr float.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to understand how to do it.
I tried the OCIO adjustment and i must admit I couldn't figure out what to choose in the Source and destination menu.
The 32bit Preview Panel is giving me even more options which I can't wrap my head around.

I would like to thank in advance anybody who will help me sort this mystery (I'm not targetting anyone in particular but hey! James Ritson, I really enjoy your tutorials!!! :D).

Have a nice day!
Nicolas

• Staff

Hi @leminilab,

This isn't particularly an area of expertise for me, but have you watched the OCIO setup and usage video tutorial? This tutorial may provide some clarity on the available options in both the 32 bit preview panel for display transform/calibration, as well as a use case for the OCIO adjustment layer.

Additional info is also available in the links below.

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/HDR/ocio.html

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Adjustments/adjustment_ocio.html

Hi Nathan!

Thank you very much for this answer!

I must admit I had not seen the video you mentioned. Unfortunately, despite James clarity, it didn't help me so much... I'm still confused...

I wonder why the png file looks like this:
Affinity_exr_test-PNG.png.d56b781fdd59b24a405576a8894e4f47.png
ang the exr like this:
Affinity_exr_test-EXR.png.8dc9f5252f88fe0a0891f1d90056da29.png

🤔

• Staff

Similar queries have cropped up previously with regard to this workflow, James's reply in the thread linked below should be helpful if you're attempting to export from an EXR to a standard gamma-encoded format such as PNG, the preview should be kept as a standard ICC display transform over using an OCIO transform.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, James Ritson said:

To expand on this: OCIO display transform is primarily meant to be used for a VFX pipeline where Photo is used to ingest an EXR document, perform some edits in linear space, then export back to EXR using colour space conversion if applicable.

Using File>Export for any gamma-encoded format (JPEG, 8-bit or 16-bit TIFF etc) will use the ICC Display Transform result, since this mimics the gamma encoded view you would see in those formats.

And another similar expanation in the thread linked below

On 11/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, James Ritson said:

It's just the way 32-bit linear in Photo works—everything is converted to scene linear, then the colour space is defined either by traditional display profile conversion (ICC) or via OCIO. You choose which using the 32-bit preview panel (View>Studio>32-bit Preview). Bear in mind that if you plan to export from Affinity Photo as a gamma-encoded format (16-bit, 8-bit JPEG/TIFF etc), you need to preview using ICC Display Transform.

So just to clarify, the document's colour profile (e.g. sRGB, ROMM RGB etc) is arbitrary and only applied when using ICC Display Transform—then the scene linear values are converted and bounded to that profile. If you choose Unmanaged, you'll be looking at the linear values. OCIO Display Transform will convert the scene linear values according to the view and device transforms that are mandated in the combo boxes.

Found an interesting post with regard to Blender, Agx and Affinity Photo: https://github.com/sobotka/AgX/discussions/10

This is a quote from the last post dated Feb 23, 2023

Do you also have Affinity in mind while developing AgX (since it is only using OCIOV1) or you hope that they will just upgrade to OCIO V2 finally?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@leminilab Hi! you wrote "As a blender and Affinity user, I would like to benefit from the Agx view transform and be able to tweak the image in Affinity Photo.
I'm currently exporting to .exr float. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to understand how to do it."

When you save a render, can you not just save a .PNG with Color Management as Agx and pick a "Look"? I do this and can then tweak images in AP. Or, am I not understanding what you are trying to do? Why would you export to .exr to benefit from Agx?

Here is a link to a discussion on a forum more focused on the Blender/Agx side of things that may provide useful information:

Working in AGX color management

To the best of my knowledge - which is not great, the addition of Agx in Blender 4 was to provide a way to reduce over exposure in the brightest areas of a render. I find this to be true and helpful in my work.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has gotten me interested in OCIO and EXR files and confused similar to the OP, @leminilab who is, like me a Blender user. 

I found this information that may help to clarify. It references Photoshop but I think may apply to AP as well.

https://blenderartists.org/t/multilayer-openexr-images-from-blender-to-photoshop-with-correct-colors/1496629

I will post at this thread if I succeed in implementing any of this.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

Hi,

it took me some time before i could come back to this issue.
Although I want to express my sincere gratitude to all who have tried to point me in the right direction, I have to say I'm still not understanding this very well.

Why is there such a big difference between the Blender viewer and the .exr file when opened in AP? 🤔Blender color management tab

Blender_export.png.784e9d0b9042c616ede1ce3d4663c5b9.png

file_in_AP.png.fae619d7cf3370e475984855a1805d8d.png

@leminilab wrote: "Why is there such a big difference between the Blender viewer and the .exr file when opened in AP?"

I can only guess that the Blender viewer image is a composite image of everything in the scene and the .exr you are viewing in AP is but one channel of a multi-channel .exr file that contains all the rendering passes used to create the image.

Have you checked out blenderartists.org ? Seems to be a pretty decent group plus you might find some helpful articles using search.

Hi Henry,

Thank you for your help!

Well what confuses me is the png image I save after the render looks fine when opened in AP...

I will try to search Blenderartists, absolutely. You're right!
Thanks again for your help!