You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Barely visible curso

I've read this forum about this subject and there have been multiple topics on this without an actual response.

In multiple cases I have serious difficulty finding the cursor without using the windows powertoys "mouse utilities". The following exaple is of the color picker.

I'm adding a photo of this as well. Can you find the cursor is on the first image? I bet you can after focusing on it for some time.

Would it be possible to make it more visible in upcoming patches?

I've had similar issues with the text tool in the Publisher. Really difficult to see.

untitled.png

untitled-1.png

Welcome to the forums @PuheOU

I think part or the problem you are having is that the mouse cursor ‘scales’ with the screen resolution.

In other words, it is the same number of pixels in size no matter what the resolution of the screen and, therefore, on higher resolution screens it can be more difficult to see because it’s ‘smaller’. (It’s easy to see on an HD screen.)

Can you suggest a good way to make it “more visible” on higher resolution screens while it not being obtrusive on lower resolution screens? (Keep in mind that a user could be using multiple monitors with different resolutions at the same time.)

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Can you suggest a good way to make it “more visible” on higher resolution screens while it not being obtrusive on lower resolution screens?

Doesn't Windows use 2-colour cursor icons like macOS?

maccursoronblack4.jpg.a760bac624243b83d6da1274df908040.jpgmaccursoronblack1.jpg.0dc282a74f7fad550880fa92016df1de.jpgmaccursoronblack3.jpg.9687867476718fc9654ac2b6b58f7d56.jpgmaccursoronblack2.jpg.1bf46c371880e0cf03b522f20c697476.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

It does but I think, from what I can see in the screenshots, the pixels that make up the white edges of the pointer are so small on high resolutions screens that it’s not easy to see them.

If you zoom into the first screenshot you can see some feint white/grey lines and those lines are more ‘pronounced’ on lower resolution screens - see image below.

I’m not sure if Serif can do much about this or whether it’s an OS-settings-thing.

image.png.9c68ff7ef1ee20ee6e0dc34f064d26d4.png

You're not alone puheOU.

I constantly lose track of where the cursor is - especially when working with grey tones. Zooming in has no effect on the cursor at all. 

I have looked at all the available options but have found nothing to change the colour of the cursor, or, to make it more user friendly.

But you never know.....someone in here might have a good solution to the problem.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

51 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Doesn't Windows use 2-colour cursor icons like macOS?

maccursoronblack4.jpg.a760bac624243b83d6da1274df908040.jpgmaccursoronblack1.jpg.0dc282a74f7fad550880fa92016df1de.jpgmaccursoronblack3.jpg.9687867476718fc9654ac2b6b58f7d56.jpgmaccursoronblack2.jpg.1bf46c371880e0cf03b522f20c697476.jpg

This. This is what I'd want and need.

But unfortunatelly this is only available on the 'Pixel' persona. Sadly, I work in vectors.

19 minutes ago, PuheOU said:

But unfortunatelly this is only available on the 'Pixel' persona. Sadly, I work in vectors.

Sounds like a bug to me. Why should the look of a cursor icon depend on a persona? – In macOS they are consistent / persona independent:

maccursoronblackVector.jpg.4eaea581ffe9ba033855148e8e357f88.jpg

Does any Affinity cursor in a vector persona appear as 2-colour for you, e.g. the "create" cursor for Rectangle / Ellipse Tool? – FWIW, on mac each of the three app packages appears to contain over 100 cursor icon files in a folder "Resources" … but none of them shows in particular an elliptical or crosshairs brush or a text cursor or caret (while text cursors might be taken from macOS, brushes aren't used in macOS).

cursors.jpg.d15749242d738b5078da698632718498.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

These examples that you show, appear in the vector persona. With the white outline. If you look closely at my screenshots, you can see it.

But, my display resolution is 3840x2160.

As such, the white outline is barely visible on the crosshair. And it only appears when I stop moving the mouse.

Brush tool is the same on both and works okay.. White on, dark background and black on white background.

Now, after closing and opening the software, most of the cursors work as you have descirbed. But it's kind of insane, that it now works after I've closed and opened it over these two days. And not every time.

vector persona-brush.png

pixel presona-brush.png

vector persona-create rectangle.png

Some apps offer a selection of different cursors to choose from. E.g. the painting app Artrage offers three cursors: the precise cursor (crosshairs), the outline shape of the brush and a brush image. I think the last one is bullshit, even you can always see it. But it is disturbing. You can even switch between these cursors per short key. And there is an additional option for the precise cursor to display it bigger. This could be a feature that makes sense for Affinity too, I think. A case for the Feature Requests?

But in general, I personally prefer the outline shape, because it always shows the actual size of the brush.