You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get rid of a slight black outline on B&W image.

I'm working on a B&W image and on parts of the foreground subject I'm getting a very small black outline. It's only on a few places. I don't know what the proper name for it might be, but I need to get rid of it. Any help?

Screenshot2024-01-18at5_52_25PM.thumb.png.ea1e37a303eb0aa9b4d4ae2df3fa560e.png

Could you upload the actual image?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

The black lines around the horse are on the upper Background layer and, in this case, they are ‘baked into’ the image; if you delete all of the layers, other then the Background layer, you can see that the black lines don’t go away.

There are probably lots of ways to remove them but they will be manual processes and could be fiddly.

It might be quicker/better to recreate the image without the black lines in the first place.

Do you have the original image(s) that this was created from?

13 hours ago, Scotty512 said:

on parts of the foreground subject I'm getting a very small black outline. It's only on a few places. I don't know what the proper name for it might be, but I need to get rid of it

To me the thin black 'stroke' looks like the consequence of an imprecise pixel selection (or masking brush) applied to the foreground object, the black seems to be a leftover of the background in the previous/initial foreground image before cropping it.
(sorry, I didn't download your .afphoto / have V1 only anyway)

BTW, for screenshots it is always worth to show the Layers panel at least while empty or irrelevant panels (e.g. Macro, Adjustment) aren't helpful / don't deliver any wanted information.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I'm not sure what went gone wrong there, I recreated the image from scratch and the black outline doesn't appear (see the below modified file).  I would imagine the root cause happened during the masking phase – which is not part of the file.

Modified File:

DSC_4324 PF Changs B.afphoto

[Large afphoto attachment now removed to reduce space]

As you've already tried using a mask, I assume you want to remove the black outline from the background image itself, rather than use a mask.

For this particular image, I would just start again as it's a fairly simple image.  However, if you did want to remove it from this image, you could use selection tools combined with [Select > Grow/Shrink] and either the healing brush tool (if removing the black outline from the background image itself) or a black/white brush (if removing the black outline using a mask).