You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not processing astro fits files well

Hi folks,

I have processed an object from Telescope Live NGC1333, 8 fits files, LRGB. The result I get with APv1 is not what I expect based on another person's processed result from the same files. I am sending my jpg result and the other's result obtained with PixInsight. I know PI is not AP but I have done many such comparisons and have gotten pretty close with AP

Thanks for any help. Regards, Irving

ngc1333 stacked comp lrgb nts edit ok?.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 07.40.18.png

Hi Callum,  I uploaded the 8 files. I had stacked them in 4 groups LRGB and made a composite LRGB according to JRs methods. Then used his normal tone stretching macro. Then went through the adjustment layers. I tried to copy the history but did not see how it works. Thanks and regards, Irving

• Staff

Hey Irving, I downloaded the data from Telescope Live today and had a quick go at processing. I came up with the attached image. I've intentionally gone a bit over the top (especially with the colour processing) to hopefully demonstrate that Photo can indeed stack the data quite well and that you can bring out plenty of detail. It would be easy enough to tone the result down if the colours are too garish.

I did the following:

• Mono Log Stretch on the L-RGB data layers
  • L-RGB colour mapping
  • Linear fit using Blue data as the base scale
  • Star separation using StarXTerminator
  • Super Texture on the starless layer
  • HSL and Selective Colour to increase saturation and then skew some of the colours to make them more vibrant
  • Reduce Background Luminosity
  • Deepen Colour Detail
  • Enhance Red/Green/Blue/Magenta/Yellow signals
  • Enhance Blue/Green Detail
  • Boost Red/Yellow Detail
  • HSL to reduce saturation slightly
  • Merged to Pixel layer in order to run NoiseXTerminator (not particularly necessary for this image since noise was pretty good, but just to clean it up slightly)
  • Enhance Structure
  • Highlight Protected Tone Lift
  • Highlight Recovery
  • Bandpass Sharpening (Regular)
  • Stars layer at very top (with Add blend mode)

Finally, I did rotate the image 180 degrees to match the version you posted above.

image.jpeg

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi James, It looks great. Really breathtaking what you have done. A great motivation for me. There is obviously lots I do not know about Affinity. This is the first time that I was not able to get anywhere near to a satisfying result. I have APv2 but have not yet gotten your macros. I wish there were an astro-related forum or maybe a FB group for Affinity astro. Many thanks and best regards, Irving

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, Using SHO I could get only stars. Then tried HSO with a log stretch, at least something, and the golden boost gave me some color. I show the result here. I wonder what your result would have been without the StarXTerm plug in. Anyway I think you have better things to do. Many thanks for all you have done for AP astro. Irving

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 09.56.21 best 3503.png