You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD-macOS : Artboard title misrendering on external display

I'm using an external LG 32" 4K display, and AD seems to be using a different font and the anti-aliasing seems quite chunky as well... 

Beta 2.4

External display

image.png.7723cddf96da0377cf9a856c5002abe6.png

Built-in display

image.png.093288a0c2a3587f6e7914d0da6bf525.png

Retail 2.3.1

External display:

image.png.a8b2c80055482f866f21749bea995708.png

Built-in display

image.png.b728ba9a43519f9c05c0823d1bbfaf6e.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Ronnie,

Which renderer is your Retail 2.3.1 using and which is your Beta 2.4.0 using? I'm finding I can recreate this in both 2.3.0 and 2.4.0, but both have to be set to using the Metal Renderer. We have also found that the monitor the app is launched from and the location of the main window also affects how this is getting displayed.

• Could you attach some more information for us please?
  • What is the model number of your LG screen?
  • Can you attach screenshots from Settings > Display showing the settings for both your screens (and hover over the selected setting to show the resolution).

If possible can you try the following please?

1. Set to Renderer set to Metal: Have the main app screen positioned on the Macbook and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder window on the Macbook - Do artboard labels display correctly?
  2. Set to Renderer set to Metal: Have the main app screen positioned on the Macbook and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder on the LG screen - Do artboard labels display correctly?
  3. Set to Renderer set to Metal: Have the main app screen positioned on the LG screen and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder window on the Macbook - Do artboard labels display correctly?
  4. Set to Renderer set to Metal: Have the main app screen positioned on the LG screen and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder on the LG screen - Do artboard labels display correctly?
  5. Set to Renderer set to OpenGL: Have the main app screen positioned on the Macbook and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder window on the Macbook - Do artboard labels display correctly?
  6. Set to Renderer set to OpenGL: Have the main app screen positioned on the Macbook and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder on the LG screen - Do artboard labels display correctly?
  7. Set to Renderer set to OpenGL: Have the main app screen positioned on the LG screen and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder window on the Macbook - Do artboard labels display correctly?
  8. Set to Renderer set to OpenGL: Have the main app screen positioned on the LG screen and then close the app to ensure its position is set, and then launch from a Finder on the LG screen - Do artboard labels display correctly?

If you do find one of these scenarios are affected, would you be able to try the same scenario using 2.3.1, please? We expect it to also be the same. I'm wondering if one being set to OpenGL and the other being set to Metal is making this appear to be a regression.

For what it is worth I found the following with my iMac:

Hardware:

• iMac Intel Retina 5K 2020 Sonoma 14.0 - Set to 'Default' (2560x1440), also Main Screen
  • LG Screen 27UK670 - Set to More Space (3840x2160), also Extended

Renderer: OpenGL - see iMac_OpenGL.mov
Main Window positioned on iMac

• If App is launched from Finder on Macbook Air screen: Appears fine
  • If App is launched from Finder on LG screen: Appears fine

Main Window positioned on LG Screen

Renderer: Metal - see iMac_Metal.mov
Main Window positioned on iMac

• If App is launched from Finder on LG screen: Artboard Content is cut off by three-quarters

Main Window positioned on LG Screen

• If App is launched from Finder on Macbook Air screen: Artboard labels are messed up similar to those shown above. See screenshots attached showing both 2.4.0 (left) and 2.3.0 (right)

Metal (1).png

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Ronnie,

• Which renderer is your Retail 2.3.1 using and which is your Beta 2.4.0 using?
  • Could you attach some more information for us please?
  • What is the model number of your LG screen?
  • Can you attach screenshots from Settings > Display showing the settings for both your screens (and hover over the selected setting to show the resolution).

I only use Metal rendering on both retail and betas.image.png.6008cb0400c158957c91fcfb3c67614c.png

IMG_1099.thumb.jpeg.14d06de493b847a6df39210bc77b1e34.jpeg

image.png.b310a6db4e742f77955de3239efb8ffd.png

image.png.403742058f6b5e67bf51a66964cb0d82.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Thanks Ronny! 

Do you find the issues go away if you switch to OpenGL? And also can you reproduce the issues on 2.3.1 based on what screen the main window was on and what screen you launched the app on?

Thanks

On 2/14/2024 at 4:22 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks Ronny! 

Do you find the issues go away if you switch to OpenGL? And also can you reproduce the issues on 2.3.1 based on what screen the main window was on and what screen you launched the app on?

Thanks

Hey @Sean P, the Artboard title rendering issue seems to appear when launching AD from the Finder from built-in display and then moving the window over to ext LG display or when launching AD from ext LG and then moving the window to built-in display. I have not determined if the issue is related to Metal vs OpenGL. The way to check the differences is with a screen capture app to zoom in and see the pixels anti-aliasing and resolution change....

• Staff
41 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Hey @Sean P, the Artboard title rendering issue seems to appear when launching AD from the Finder from built-in display and then moving the window over to ext LG display or when launching AD from ext LG and then moving the window to built-in display. I have not determined if the issue is related to Metal vs OpenGL. The way to check the differences is with a screen capture app to zoom in and see the pixels anti-aliasing and resolution change....

Thats great! I assume 2.3.1 is doing the same for you as well? I expect switching to OpenGL will likely make the issue go away for you?

We do all have this logged with development, so just wanted to make sure what you're seeing is matching up with what I've found to be true. 

Thanks.

Hello @Sean P in reference to your 2 questions:

1. I replaced the last beta with the current one so I can't check.

2. Not consistently

On 2/15/2024 at 10:38 AM, Sean P said:

Thats great! I assume 2.3.1 is doing the same for you as well? I expect switching to OpenGL will likely make the issue go away for you?

Also here's a spreadsheet showing all the possible combinations of launch locations for your review, and I attached the AD file as well. All screengrabs from retina display have been shrunk by 50% to maintain the absolute size displayed (vs captured retina 2X resolution). Hopefully this helps the devs...

image.thumb.png.18be0d92c905fbfae29ea6967b9c9af1.png

EXT DISPL.afdesign

Hey @Sean P not sure if u saw my last post above just an FYI I put it together with the prior beta, not the one released this week (RC1)

• Staff
On 2/23/2024 at 6:19 PM, ronnyb said:

Hey @Sean P not sure if u saw my last post above just an FYI I put it together with the prior beta, not the one released this week (RC1)

Hi Ronny,

My apologies I thought I had replied, but it seems I had not. :(

Many thanks for doing that - I've added it to the original report which is which is with development, so I shall leave it with them!