You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why some fonts scripts not working in affinity ?

4 hours ago, Proinfographiste said:

fixed

Did you just open this .ai in AD? – If yes, could you post a screenshot comparison of the according OpenType panel of AI … and that from AD before your fixing modifications?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

This seems to be a kind of parallel case of Wishes Pro having issues in Affinity apps (but not e.g. in Adobe apps):

....which @kenmcd explained to be related to unexposed final forms being activated without the UI offering means to turn them off.

In this case turning off forms attributes appeared to work.

13 minutes ago, lacerto said:

This seems to be a kind of parallel case of Wishes Pro having issues in Affinity apps (but not e.g. in Adobe apps)

....which @kenmcd explained to be related to unexposed final forms being activated without the UI offering means to turn them off.

In this case turning off forms attributes appeared to work.

It's likely Wishes Pro would have issues in the ME version of InDesign as well in this regard (or the hack for using ME features in a western version of ID). There is no GUI means of accessing these OT Features--though it can be done via scripting. Because a western ID version these ME features are off by default, there isn't an apparent issue in them.

At least all the above to the best of my recollection.

Affinity defaults to having these "Positional Alternate" features On for Latin scripts,
while other text shapers default to Off for Latin scripts.
So all the Latin-script fonts which use these features work wrong in Affinity.

For the appropriate Unicode scripts (e.g. Arabic) these same shapers default to On,
because for those scripts/languages those features are required to be On.

In 2016 the OpenType docs were modified to say that these features (which Affinity groups under the "Positional Alternate" label) are intended primarily for Arabic and that they should be On by default.
Prior to this 2016 text change... many, many, many Latin-only fonts were created using these features - and more are still being created today.
Back when you could still search MyFonts by OpenType feature tags, I searched for these features - and found hundreds of Latin-only fonts using these features.
And there are many in Google Fonts also.
So hundreds of these fonts are being purchased/downloaded every day.
And users already own thousands of these fonts.

Affinity does not handle these fonts correctly.
What is really silly is Affinity does not support Arabic, but defaults these features to On.
Other shapers in InDesign, Illustrator, QuarkXPress, Word, LibreOffice, etc. all default to Off for these features for Unicode Latin script.
So this is why a user coming from Illustrator is confused when their fonts suddenly start looking wrong - like in this situation.

These OpenType features should be Off by default for Latin script:
- Initial Forms (init)
- Isolated Forms (isol)
- Medial Forms (medi)
- Terminal Forms (fina)
- Terminal Forms 2 (fin2)
- Terminal Forms 3 (fin3)
- Final Glyph on Line Alternates (falt)

I was reviewing a bunch of script/handwriting fonts from Google Fonts yesterday and found the first four (init, medi, isol, fina) over and over again - in Latin-only fonts.
The last two (fin2, fin3) are less common, but I do find them in other advanced script-style fonts (as we did in the post @lacerto linked above).

Minion 3 (and Pro) uses fina - for Latin.
Gabriola uses falt - for Latin and Cyrillic.
Both fonts are designed expecting these to be Off by default.
These features should probably default Off for Cyrillic also.

Affinity needs to fix this.