You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer v2] 3D Layer Effect is not affected by "fill opacity" when the object is over a transparent background

Applying a 3D Layer Effect and setting that layer's "fill opacity" to zero will show a black opaque fill instead of the expected transparent fill. The bug only happens with the 3D Layer Effect in particular, the other Layer Effects works fine.

In this screenshot I have a very basic setup. A brand new document. Added a simple circle with just a default 3D Layer Effect applied.

image.png.16fb6b9fdf57b724eebb09f61f3b984b.png

Upon setting the "Fill opacity" to zero. This is the output: (the fill becomes black but is still opaque)

image.png.d89fd1aeba320ace533887d31e867c0d.png

The expected result for setting fill opacity to zero would have been this: (the fill becomes transparent)

image.png.6d72b106e363af741dfb094443f0787a.png

The above screenshot was faked by using a background image that looks like the checkered texture from a transparent background, but the background isn't actually transparent. This works because the bug only happens when the 3D Layer Effect is on top of a transparent background. If the 3D Layer Effect is on top of a regular opaque layer, then the 3D Layer Effect works just fine as expected.

Additionally, any other value for fill opacity from 1% to 99% will look fully opaque as of it were at 100%. It will look just like the first screenshot.

All other Layer Effects works just as fine as expected on top of a transparent background. The problem seems to be only with the 3D Layer Effect. For example, here's a screenshot of the same experiment using the Bevel Layer Effect with zero Fill Opacity: (it works as expected, no black opaque fill)

image.png.8de84858b820b493d430f583f27634b1.png

Reproduced on both Designer v2.3.0 and Photo v2.3.0 On windows. I've attached a file used above, opacitytest.afdesign where this bug can be observed.

opacitytest.afdesign

• Staff

Is it possible for you to post a screen recording showing the result that you are getting as I have not been able to replicate this in a new document following your steps.

21 hours ago, vib said:

I've attached a file used above, opacitytest.afdesign where this bug can be observed.

Why does the ellipse become completely transparent when I turn off the effect? Note: The opacity for the colour is 100%, I checked.

ScreenShot2024-01-03at10_35_50AM.png.f282ade78b7121a90e4450bf406a5150.png

ScreenShot2024-01-03at10_36_00AM.png.73016bbace47b54b681c917a6db7ea0c.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Old Bruce,
It becomes transparent because the Fill Opacity was still set to 0% before you removed the effect. So before removing the 3D make sure to set the Fill Opacity to 100% again then remove it and you should see the ellipse.

@vib
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I've reproduced the issue here and have logged it to be checked by the dev team. Thanks for reporting it.

29 minutes ago, MEB said:

... It becomes transparent because the Fill Opacity was still set to 0% before you removed the effect.

Argh.. Considering the number of times I have been bitten by this, one would think I would be aware of it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@DWright Here's a video showing how to reproduce the bug: 

Later in the video I compare it to the Bevel Layer Effect to demonstrate how that one works perfectly as intended. While the 3D Layer Effect just glitches instead.

@Old Bruce it's funny because when I was researching this topic to figure out what was wrong — most threads about it had you in them explaining to others how Fill Opacity works 🙃

• Staff

The issue "Layer Effects, 3D Effect: setting Fill Opacity to 0% doesn't turn the fill transparent" (REF: AF-1668) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2222".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.