You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

FX color overlay

Ashcat

Using Affinity Photo V2 and Affinity Designer V2 on iPad Pro. 

I have a problem with FX color overlay. When I make any kind of object (brush or a rectangle) in Photo and I want it to change to an other color, I always use the FX with color overlay. But now I don’t get the new color stay permanent at te object when I go to another layer. It turns back to the color it was first made in. At the layer the color stays too at the same color as it was first made in. I’ve tried this also in Designer V2 and have the same problem.
I also tried this in APv1 and ADv1 with the same settings and in both V1 it worked perfectly well, as always. I hope you understand my problem.

IMG_0461.jpeg

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0465.jpeg

Hi, 

I tried to reproduce on my iPad and could not reproduce immediately. Can you help us with more information about the circumstances?

How do you apply the layer fx action?

The issue might be triggered by what you do next, e.g. switching to another layer  or switching to a different layer fx option.

If possible, can you make a screen recording with the build-in function of the iPad, as described in the link below?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935

Do you have any accessibility options like display zoom activated in iPad settings? 
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/turn-on-accessibility-features-for-setup-ipad58ced58d/17.0/ipados/17.0
Those might interfere with the Affinity UI.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Also, it might help if you could provide a .afdesign or .afphoto file that demonstrates the problem for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the recording.

I'm seeing the same thing. So far it only seems to affect the Color Overlay function in FX. Leaving the layer after setting a color results in the color being forgotten.

Edit: Seems to be specific to iPad; Windows and macOS versions don't do this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You need at leas 2 layers in the document to trigger the bug. Now I can reproduce.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for the recording.

I'm seeing the same thing. So far it only seems to affect the Color Overlay function in FX. Leaving the layer after setting a color results in the color being forgotten.

Edit: Seems to be specific to iPad; Windows and macOS versions don't do this.

Yes, only the Color Overlay in FX doesn’t work. I cann’t test it at another device because I only use Affinity Photo v2 and Designer v2 at the IPad(s).

• 2 months later...

Workaround: swatches seem to stick. 

1 hour ago, _Amageton_ said:

I noticed that.

Do you have the same problem with the sliders? They too reset pretty often.

Any workaround for that?

A general workaround seems to be: adjust the color first. Then adjust any of the other sliders like radius, angle. You can again choose the old slider value. Now the color stays even when switching layers.