You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If this topic is in the forums for v2, I couldn't find it.

When I open a Designer file that is missing fonts, I get the popup window telling me what those fonts are. But before I can get to my actual font manager to load the fonts, it disappears. I can't find anywhere in Designer 2 to open the font manager. What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

What am I missing?

Publisher.
There is "by design" no font manager in Designer.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

how do I determine what fonts are missing?

Close and reopen the document, then copy the content of the notification you'll see.

17 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

Why on earth would that be intended?

Because typography is not Designer's focus. That's what Publisher is for.
You may want to think of the existing typography features in Designer as a goodie. ;) 
This is partially a "marketing decision", but also to keep each of the three apps focused on specific tasks so that users who don't need them all can pick just the one app that suits them the best. Still, in my opinion, Designer is the most universal of the three, especially as a starting point for design "enthusiasts". Then, if a user feels they need more features, they can always "extend" by buying the other ones from the suite. Since the document format is universal for all three apps, the content can be edited in any app seamlessly as you see fit via File → Edit in […]. (The file suffixes afdesign/afphoto/afpub actually only serve to define the default app to open the document.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Close and reopen the document, then copy the content of the notification you'll see.

Because typography is not Designer's focus. That's what Publisher is for.
You may want to think of the existing typography features in Designer as a goodie. ;) 
This is partially a "marketing decision", but also to keep each of the three apps focused on specific tasks so that users who don't need them all can pick just the one app that suits them the best. Still, in my opinion, Designer is the most universal of the three, especially as a starting point for design "enthusiasts". Then, if a user feels they need more features, they can always "extend" by buying the other ones from the suite. Since the document format is universal for all three apps, the content can be edited in any app seamlessly as you see fit via File → Edit in […]. (The file suffixes afdesign/afphoto/afpub actually only serve to define the default app to open the document.)

In truth, affinity is my go to suite. I generally start with Designer, and publisher second. I still find photo difficult to adopt, having been a long time, certified adobe, professional, and Photoshop. That said, if font is missing, font is missing. It would be helpful, for all three apps to offer away to easily retrieve that information. I get that Designer is not a topography, focused app, but fonts are absolutely used in it. 

In V2, in the Character Panel, click the Collection box (typically showing "All Fonts").  From the list of Font Collections that is displayed, select "Missing Fonts").  Then click the down arrow on the right of the Font Family box.  It should then show the list of missing fonts.

Screenshot2023-12-28at21_32_29.png.dbe01d707621962039408c93005bdfb0.png

This is in the Help file for the Character Panel:

"About the Character panel

The Character panel is unique in providing the ability to:

• List typefaces within particular collections (including Missing Fonts)."