You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font formatting Issue

Artymo

Hello,

I’m encountering an issue with the JBCursive font when using it in Affinity apps, yes all 3 of them. While the font appears as expected in other programs, all Affinity apps seems to space out the letters, disrupting the continuous cursive flow.

I have attached screenshots showcasing the correct rendering in another program and the spacing issue in Affinity Publisher.

I’ve confirmed that the JBCursive font is installed correctly, and it behaves as intended in various applications except for Affinity apps.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or can offer insights into resolving this issue?

Note: Please be aware that adjusting the tracking did not resolve the problem.

IMG_0652.jpeg

IMG_0653.jpeg

Where did you obtain the font, and what version do you have installed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, select the text or edit its text style and using the Typography window, deselect "Isolated Forms" which is on by default and not useful for a script font like this.

I just noticed that I didn't document Word Position Forms in the Typography section of my Publisher manual so I'll add it for the next edition.

Screenshot2023-12-08at10_29_05AM.png.624f6bd6a75e9303dece3ee839ada8a2.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

Hi, select the text or edit its text style and using the Typography window, deselect "Isolated Forms" which is on by default and not useful for a script font like this.

Yes, isol is useful for this font (in that it uses isol to sub isolated letter forms). All isol is doing OT Feature-wise here, is substituting <space>single letter<space> forms. This should not affect letter spacing where isol, by design, has no affect.

Whether a latin script font uses non-latin features or not shouldn't be the/an issue.

The font author, though, could/should use Stylistic sets with contextual substitution for the init, medi, fina and isol forms in a latin font. But it isn't uncommon for script font authors to use the non-latin shortcut of isol, init etc. VectorStyler messes up more than Affinity applications with fonts using these features.

I do believe this is a bug in the shaper.

6 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I just noticed that I didn't document Word Position Forms in the Typography section of my Publisher manual so I'll add it for the next edition.

Screenshot2023-12-08at10_29_05AM.png.624f6bd6a75e9303dece3ee839ada8a2.png

Thank you so much it worked 

Edited by Artymo

On 12/8/2023 at 12:58 PM, MikeW said:

VectorStyler messes up more than Affinity applications with fonts using these features.

Do you have some examples of these types of fonts that vectorstyler struggles with? Perhaps from a site like dafont where I can test them in Vectorstyler and report the results to the developer? He's quick to fix bugs and improve operational use. Or even better, you could post the issues and examples on the Vectorstyler forum directly. No doubt it'd be improved upon in short order

On 12/11/2023 at 6:29 AM, Boldlinedesign said:

Do you have some examples of these types of fonts that vectorstyler struggles with? Perhaps from a site like dafont where I can test them in Vectorstyler and report the results to the developer? He's quick to fix bugs and improve operational use. Or even better, you could post the issues and examples on the Vectorstyler forum directly. No doubt it'd be improved upon in short order

I did submit this directly and it'll be fixed in the next update.