You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character picker for bullet text style does not work for child styles

This may be easier to just see in the video, but I’ll try to explain. If you try to edit the character used for a bullet point in a text style that is a child of another bullet style, and you want to use the character picker (the ellipsis button), the text that gets inserted as the “bullet” is the literal text “[No change].”

1. Start with the A4 document preset.
  2. Create some text with the paragraph style “Bullet 2”
  3. Edit the text style “Bullet 2” by going to the “Bullets and Numbering” section.
  4. In that section, clear the “Text” field and then try to enter a new character using the button with an ellipsis on it.

Result: instead of the character you picked, it will be the literal text “[No change]” as the bullet. Note that this same procedure works as expected with the style “Bullet 1,” so I understand that using a child style is a relevant part of the recipe.

Environment:

Publisher 2.3, macOS 13.6, 2019 iMac 27”

I'm seeing the same problem with using the glyph browser inside of Edit Text Style.

For now, the best workaround is to use the glyph browser outside of the edit text style window, copy the glyph to the clipboard, then edit the text style. That will allow you to paste the glyph in rather than use the glyph browser from inside of edit text style.

Cheers

• Staff

Hi @garrettm30,

I just tried this and got the same results but I think I know what the issue is.  When I try to replicate this on Windows and edit Bullet 2, the bullets and numbering section is all greyed out and I have to change the Type from [No Change] to Bullet and then I get to set the new Bullet 2 character.  On Mac, it appears all these settings are active, so it's a bit less obvious you need to change the Type from [No Change] to Bullet before this will work.