You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Un-splitable (?) SVG with multiple colors

I use SVG-files regularly in publisher. Everytime each color come in a separate layer which I can group and edit color on. 

However yesterday I got an SVG with a layer containing several colors, not just one. 

Anyone know a solution how to split this layer into the colors its made of? 

6 minutes ago, Arp_148 said:

I use SVG-files regularly in publisher. Everytime each color come in a separate layer which I can group and edit color on. 

However yesterday I got an SVG with a layer containing several colors, not just one. 

you could make your own layers and then cut and paste each colour into each layer. Not sure why you would really need to do this though when you can simply click on a colour and edit it. If you are doing a lot of SVG editing you should look at Designer, not Publisher for this. Publisher is for page layout and is like Adobe Indesign. Designer is for vector artwork and would be comparable to Adobe Illustrator. 

42 minutes ago, Arp_148 said:

Without a copy of it, or at a minimum a screenshot showing the SVG in an Affinity application and the Layers panel showing it, we can only guess.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

you could make your own layers and then cut and paste each colour into each layer. Not sure why you would really need to do this though when you can simply click on a colour and edit it. If you are doing a lot of SVG editing you should look at Designer, not Publisher for this. Publisher is for page layout and is like Adobe Indesign. Designer is for vector artwork and would be comparable to Adobe Illustrator. 

Im aware of all that but feel no obligation to explain myself to you about something I havnt asked about. There is a reason for everything. 

I cant click any sub-parts in the image, without the whole image is highlighted, and therefore niether split or separate anything in the layer. Thats why Im asking here. The layer have no sub-layers. Neverthless the visible image contains several colors. 

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Without a copy of it, or at a minimum a screenshot showing the SVG in an Affinity application and the Layers panel showing it, we can only guess.

The layer is like any ordinary layer. Except for the fact it have no sub-layers. Neverthless the visible image contains several colors. 

14 minutes ago, Arp_148 said:

The layer is like any ordinary layer. Except for the fact it have no sub-layers. Neverthless the visible image contains several colors. 

There are many kinds of ordinary layers. As yours is behaving in a way you don't expect, we need to see more information in order to help you. Otherwise we just have to start guessing about what you might have, and what you're seeing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Arp_148 said:

Im aware of all that but feel no obligation to explain myself to you about something I havnt asked about. There is a reason for everything. 

I cant click any sub-parts in the image, without the whole image is highlighted, and therefore niether split or separate anything in the layer. Thats why Im asking here. The layer have no sub-layers. Neverthless the visible image contains several colors. 

Did not ask for an explanation, simply offered some advice from someone who makes a living working with graphics. Without seeing it it sounds like they are grouped together if when you click one piece you select everything. 

Anyone in here who are familiar to what Im writing about? Or even better, have experience? 

The subject is not rocket science. SVG. One layer, no sub layers. Neverthless several colors in the SVG image that are displayed. If you click anywere on the image, the only thing that gets highlighted is the full image. Aim is to separate the images parts color wise. 

• Staff

Hi @Arp_148,
From your description seems you are dialing with a raster image/data in the SVG file, not with individual vector objects. Any chance you can provide the file for inspection? If you don't want to post it publicly i can provide an upload link so you can send it directly to us - just let me know.