You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Float View to Window leads to impossible to close empty window frames / Dark check boxes

iwans

Affinity Designer 2.3.0 / MacOS 13.6.1 / MacBook Pro M1 + Studio Display

When I have 2 or more documents open and I "undock" one document using Float View to Window or simply grabbing its tab away from application frame, this window floats above application frame and I can move it to external monitor or arrange it side by side with application frame with other opened documents. BUT when I try to close this floating document, on its place stays empty window frame that is impossible to close. I had to revert to Designer 2.2.1.

Also check boxes (or tick boxes) in dark mode are dark and barely visible, at least at Document Setup.

Same Issue here with Affinity Photo 2.3.0 on macOS 14.1. The only workaround is to put these windows into the dock.

I am currently MASSIVELY disappointed by Affinity v2! The Color Picker Tool Shortcut isn't either working properly. It all gets redish when you use the assigned shortcut.

Screenshot2023-12-07at20_20_03.png.54baf7cf5c1acb964726b501f3ad53e7.pngScreenshot2023-12-07at20_30_55.png.312f200fa53acd16e24cd3e6de21bbf8.png

Edited by Mac44

30 minutes ago, Mac44 said:

"Downgrading" to Affinity Photo 2.2.1 is a temporary workaround. The redundant sticking windows can than be closed.

However, it probably will mean you cannot Open any Affinity files you Saved using 2.3.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

The issue "[macOS] Floating and redocking a document creates an empty floating window which cannot be closed" (REF: AF-1499) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2185".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

This coming fix is appreciated.

The back-to-2.2.1 workaround works for me in the meantime because all my affinity files were created with v1.x. So downgrading in my case was no problem. Walt Farrell mentioned that if I had created or edited/savec files with 2.3 I probably couldn't have gone back to 2.2.1. Sorry I couldn't test this scenario because all my files as mentioned came from v1.x. Currently, I am reluctant to test this because the 2.2.1 workaround is working seamless for me.

As for the Color Picker Tool shortcut issue I was able to resolve this myself. There was a shortcut conflict with another tool. But as I didn't see a warning triangle in the Settings -> Shortcuts -> Tools-> Color Picker Tool, I only discovered the issue when I was removing ALL shortcuts in all Menus and Tools - except for standard shortcuts such as ⌘C ⌘V ⌘X ⌘P or ⌘S. When I had done the removal my assigned shortcut Q for the Color Picker Tool started to work again.

Actually, in my case it has turned out to be ideal to remove ALL shortcuts a priori and then to only adding those relatively shortcuts I frequently and really need/use. Also, saving the personalized shortcut-set then is highly recommended. But, for the professional Affinity users here, it's superfluous to mention this.

Maybe I should have done a shortcut save/export with v1.x and then have it imported to v2.x. I have opened the v1 and v2 .affshortcuts export-files with BBEdit and I have seen both are XML plist files. So a shortcut export/import from v1.x to v2.x technically should basically work. However, I haven't verified if Affinity allows an .affshortcuts export/import from previous versions. Again, currently I am reluctant to test it because shortcuts are working again.

SavingShortcuts.thumb.png.d20c2f54aee2e6a21c8466d69e4c254c.png

2 minutes ago, Mac44 said:

... I have opened the v1 and v2 .affshortcuts export-files with BBEdit and I have seen both are XML plist files. So a shortcut export/import from v1.x to v2.x technically should basically work. ...

I wonder about how the various new tools, which have been introduced in V2, would fit into a V1 .affshortcut which gets imported.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Floating and redocking a document creates an empty floating window which cannot be closed" (REF: AF-1499) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.1.2212".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:02 PM, Serif Info Bot said:

The issue "[macOS] Floating and redocking a document creates an empty floating window which cannot be closed" (REF: AF-1499) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.1.2212".

I can confirm that this bug is fixed in 2.3.1 (2217) betas of all three Affinity apps. Thanks, I hope for 2.3.1 customer release versions to be out soon.