You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

there is no possiblity use swatches in gradients? and another gradient thing. i mean all these apps.

11 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

there is no possiblity use swatches in gradients?

Of course you can, but…

12 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

and way when i change swatch also gradients change.

Only "simple" swatches, not global.

12 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

Also gradient it seems cannot be global?

Sadly, nope.

As I have posted recently somewhere: gradients still seem to be somewhat of a "stepchild" to Serif. :/ 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

By the way, at least you can use spot color swatches in gradients. Those will be also correctly exported for prepress to PDF/X if needed.
(Just tested with the latest v2.3.0 to be sure that no new bugs have been introduced. All good as it seems!)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 minutes ago, lacerto said:

You can have have global swatches as stop colors in gradients, and when editing color definitions of those swatches, gradients change accordingly -- this works at least on Windows (and 2.x versions).

Oh, I thought that doesn't work! But it does work on Mac, too.
Perhaps I may have confused it with the fact that we can't have global gradient swatches.

Gradients really should have their own studio panel.

4 minutes ago, lacerto said:

the workaround you have demonstrated

Wasn't it more about overprinting?

Just now, lacerto said:

there was a thread once where both spot colors and overprinting were discussed, and really weird workarounds were invented!

Yeah, I know which one. :) I think I've even relinked to it just recently elsewhere.

3 hours ago, MxHeppa said:

test gradient beetween two pantone hues looks weird

That might be the because spot colors don't overprint by default.

17 hours ago, loukash said:

That might be the because spot colors don't overprint by default.

Do gradients need overprinting inks? I think their transition is produced via rasterisation.

Here a sample of a spot colour gradient (spot set to overprint, ) and a CMYK gradient. Interestingly non of them appears to overprint in this PDF while plain spot colour does overprint (see the smaller centred rectangles). – Possibly the OP has with "looks weird in Acrobat" rather the bending in gradients in mind which occurs quite the same here for spot and cmyk gradient.

gradientsdontoverprint.thumb.jpg.bb1cff610ad228fc42430b5b414367b0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Just now, thomaso said:

Do gradients need overprinting inks?

Sometimes, depending on the effect you want to achieve. And depending on the amount of bugs still left in Affinity apps concerning overprinting and gradients. 

1 hour ago, loukash said:

depending on the effect you want to achieve.

Didn't we both refer to OP's

"gradient beetween two pantone hues looks weird acrobat reader"

– without any object underneath or wanted 'effect'? That made me assume that bending was meant as "weird" occurrence … which is independent of overprinting inks.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1