You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Problem: Text Around Text-Wrapped Image Disappears or Shifts After Reopening File

matw-web

When I do a spread and put an image with text wrap (tight / both sides / TrimBox) near the text, everything looks fine, so I save the file. However, when I reopen the file, the text reacting to a text wrap will either justify itself on the side touching the image or disappear partially as above. I have to select the image and move it ever so slightly before the text will reappear. Even then the text will shift slightly and my layout will have to be tweaked again.

What might be going on with this?

rough example images attached: screenshot 1 (before saving file), screenshot 2 (after re-opening saved file)

screenshot-01.png

screenshot-02.png

Edited by matw-web
removed two words "as above" that were referring to an image that I didn't upload

Hi @matw-web and welcome to the forums,

This sounds like a screen redraw issue... when it happens, does zooming the page in or out also restore the text wrap?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @matw-web,

Thanks for confirming, are you able to upload a sample file demonstrating the issue so we can take a look?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Hi @matw-web,

Thanks for the files... this would appear to be a bug, however substituting the .afpub cut out for a .tiff version appears to rectify the issue...

I've also tested this in Publisher 1.10.6 and it appears to work without issue using a .afpub cutout. Hopefully someone in the moderation team can move the post to the appropriate v2 Bugs forum...

Could you confirm whether you're using Mac or Windows... I've tested on macOS which is where I'm seeing the issue in v2.

Thank you, Hangman, for the temporary workaround. You are appreciated.

And thank you, Callum, for submitting this bug. I've been using Affinity Publisher for large publications and continue to be impressed... and using InDesign less and less!

(Side note: If Potrace could be worked into Affinity Design, I'd probably leave Adobe products all together. Ha! It does a far better job of tracing / converting bitmap images to vector art than Adobe Illustrator's tools do.)

Hi @matw-web,

Hopefully, the temporary workaround is enough for you to complete your project until we see a fix for the issue with .afpub files...

• 1 month later...

Saw the latest Affinity Suite updates are available. Great! As I was looking over the release notes, I didn't seen anything that indicated this bug had been fixed, but maybe I'm missing something?

11 minutes ago, matw-web said:

Saw the latest Affinity Suite updates are available. Great! As I was looking over the release notes, I didn't seen anything that indicated this bug had been fixed, but maybe I'm missing something?

It's not fixed. I believe this was just a very small update to fix some new bugs that were introduced in 2.3.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)