You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2 - Flood selection tool not selectable in maximized screen

Sunshadow

The flood selection tool (wand symbol) is not clickable while in maximized window mode. After reducing window size the tool is selectable again. Seems to be an issue with the UI scaling.

- Affinity Photo 2
- Version 2.2.1
- Application settings: Default
- Native screen resolution 3440x1440
- Nvidia 4090

24 minutes ago, Sunshadow said:

Seems to be an issue with the UI scaling.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Do you have any modified Windows Display Scaling in effect in your system settings?

Can you give us a screenshot or a recording to demonstrate the problem?

Do you mean that you cannot select the tool, or that having selected it you can't use it? Not being able to select it seems odd (and does not happen for me, on any of my monitors).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @Sunshadow,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

This isn't an issue I've seen being reported previously, and I'm currently unable to replicate this - however I don't have access to a widescreen monitor at this time, which may be required.
I believe a colleague of mine has access to one at home, so I will be sure to request this is tested further and I'll update you with our findings asap.

In the meantime, can you please confirm for me:

• What device are you using for input? Is this a USB mouse, drawing tablet Stylus etc?
  • Is your Taskbar set to auto-hide when fullscreening the Affinity app, or does this remain along the bottom of the monitor?
  • Which icons aren't functioning in Publisher for you?

I'd recommend updating your GPU driver, directly from Nvidias website as we've seen oddities occur in Affinity previously when using outdated GPU drivers.
Once installed, restart your system and then try using Affinity once again - can you now select these icons please?

If not, please set the app to Windowed mode, then use Windows Key + Up Arrow to set the app to fullscreen. Does this icon remain unselectable for you when fullscreening the app using this method?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hey Sunshadow,

I can check this when I get home. 

I've got a 49" 5120 x 1440p monitor and a 34" 3440 x 1440p monitor available to me so hopefully we can reproduce this and get it logged with the developers. I'll reply tonight once I've checked.

29 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Sunshadow,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

This isn't an issue I've seen being reported previously, and I'm currently unable to replicate this - however I don't have access to a widescreen monitor at this time, which may be required.
I believe a colleague of mine has access to one at home, so I will be sure to request this is tested further and I'll update you with our findings asap.

In the meantime, can you please confirm for me:

• What device are you using for input? Is this a USB mouse, drawing tablet Stylus etc?
  • Is your Taskbar set to auto-hide when fullscreening the Affinity app, or does this remain along the bottom of the monitor?
  • Which icons aren't functioning in Publisher for you?

I'd recommend updating your GPU driver, directly from Nvidias website as we've seen oddities occur in Affinity previously when using outdated GPU drivers.
Once installed, restart your system and then try using Affinity once again - can you now select these icons please?

If not, please set the app to Windowed mode, then use Windows Key + Up Arrow to set the app to fullscreen. Does this icon remain unselectable for you when fullscreening the app using this method?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi!

Here are your requested Informations:
- USB mouse Logitech G900 (with cable)
- Taskbar is not set to auto hide. It remains at the bottom
- German language version of all applications
- In Affinity Designer the icons "Zeichenstift" and "Bleistift" are not selectable
- In Affinity Publisher it depends. When moving a toolbar with some icons to the ame position of the unclickable Icons of Affinity Designer they are also unselectable.

I've just updated to the latest NVIDIA driver 546.17 11/14/23 and tried to use Windows Key + Up arrow. The icon still remains unselectable.

So in total I would say there is an area in every Affinity app where the left mouse click has no effect while the application is running in fullscreen mode.

I can't provide more screenshots, server is blocking my uploads with Errorcode 200...

• Staff

Many thanks for the further information provided and for your further testing - this is certainly appreciated!

6 hours ago, Sunshadow said:

- In Affinity Designer the icons "Zeichenstift" and "Bleistift" are not selectable

This is interesting, as both the Flood Select Tool and the Pen Tool (Zeichenstift) are the 6th tool in the list.

Out of interest, if you 'float' the Tools toolbar (Ansicht > Werkzeuge docken) are you then able to select these tools as expected, or do the same tools remain unselectable?

We'll be sure to respond here once we've tested this on a widescreen monitor to confirm our findings :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi Sunshadow,

Unfortunately, I have been unable to reproduce the issue. Any chance you could provide a screen recording?

1.jpg

Do you have another display connected? If so, does disconnecting it resolve the issue?