You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion: easy way to adjust hue or saturation or lightness for ALL gradient stops

I edit a lot of gradients on a lot of objects, either after copy styling to a new object or I do it on a lot of duplicates, to either vary a tiny bit from each other to give an illustration a more natural look, or simply to adapt a copy of an element to different lighting conditions or give it a colour cue to fit into the part of the illustration it has been moved to.

I miss the ability to adjust hue or saturation or lightness for ALL gradient stops by simply dragging the slider for e.g. hue when the object is selected. Could also be great if it worked on a selection of objects with gradients (could even then apply the change to the fill on objects with no gradient).

Couldn't this be an option with a modifier, Command + drag slider, whatever? It would really be a life saver for me.

This might be of most value in scenarios where some nuance or saturation errors around a design need to be corrected on a number of objects, perhaps even close to deadline and under pressure.

Technically, it must be doable within reason, and therefore perhaps a low-hanging fruit. 🙂

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

13 hours ago, Viktor CR said:

If you separate the gradient from the object it's applied to, e.g. by nesting a separate surface under the object it is to be applied to, you can overlay the gradient with an HSL adjustment layer and modify all stops at once.

I already use adjustment layers in simple designs that will be delivered in bitmap format. Adjustment layers rasterize the object upon export to vector formats so I can't use them that much.

I am requesting an easy way to adjust a gradient in a vector object directly - and fast. 🙂

I will sometimes make up to a hundred gradient adjustments to make an illustration appear natural. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

14 hours ago, Viktor CR said:

If you separate the gradient from the object it's applied to, e.g. by nesting a separate surface under the object it is to be applied to, you can overlay the gradient with an HSL adjustment layer and modify all stops at once.

If the Gradient is applied to the object using fx, then the adjustment can be done simply by using Color Overlay.

image.png.d64e020243a437a83c51137a8bd5f575.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Which also rasterizes output and is a clumsy time robbing work around. 

Requesting a simple, efficient and fast method to adjust all individual nodes in the actual gradient inside the object directly after years of only having such work arounds at my disposal.

I think Serif understands. 🙂

IMHO This request is a perfectly good one.

Ideally a generalised tool that adjusts the actual colours in any vector object (without rasterising) , including but not limited to gradients, and that could handle multiple objects at once. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Of course - it's an obvious workflow improvement, especially for complicated gradients that need to be fine-tuned. It always annoyed me that I had to go through such heavy adjustment workflows when it could be done much, much faster and easier.

Conversely, one should try to argue that it shouldn't be possible (like today), but that you have to adjust each stop manually and time-consumingly, or destroy the vector with a rasterising adjustment layer or other cumbersome workarounds.

That's not how professionals work. 

4 hours ago, Bit Arts said:

Which also rasterizes output and is a clumsy time robbing work around. 

Requesting a simple, efficient and fast method to adjust all individual nodes in the actual gradient inside the object directly after years of only having such work arounds at my disposal.

+1!

Vector gradients still feel like Serif's stepchild after 9 years. Please give them some more love!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2